Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rebuild instead of new!!

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, after reading and looking at everything I could find on the Aerobat wing, I decided to try and clean and reuse what I have.  I removed the wing tips and clean up the old as well as I could. Removed and replaced the stiffeners with new plywood with the quarter rounds, thanks Ak for the heat tip it made life easier.  I added three ribs @ 12" OC + the wing tip for a total length of 13'-4 1/2".  I am waiting on some trailing edge aluminum and my cap strip so I ca close the wing up.  What are the flying characteristics of the extended aerobat wing?  Will it be somewhat docile or will it bear a bear to fly?

I installed a new poly wing tank. Piece of cake.  Gonna put one in each wing plus a header tank or the panel mounted tank.  If I go with the panel mounted tank, what effect will it have on my w & b?  I want to run the Subaru engine. 

I am covering with poly fiber cloth.  I noticed that they have a white primer with uv protection.  Does this take the place of the poly brush and poly spray?  

Jim

20181025_180534.jpg

20181025_180406.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

That Epoxy primer that you are referring to is for metal. So you will need polybrush and polyspray for the fabric, do not use the Epoxy primer on the fabric.

The Epoxy primer is also used on fiberglass.

Edited by wypaul

Posted

Where did you get the wing tank?  Polyfiber is nice to work with.  A bit of AnP perfume, but easy to paint out.  One thing, if you like gray for some of your final color, you can leave the poly spray exposed.  Lighter and less $  JImChuk

Photo1152.jpg

Posted

I got the tanks from Stacey at RMWWings. He also has the new gear legs.  I used the poly fiber on my Kolb Firestar II, pic below. I got the AW certs on it in July. Wife wants to fly so I picked up the Avid Model A. I hope  it will work out. Hopefully I can get the wings done before Thanksgiving and can start on the fuselage before Christmas.   I added a pic of the A also. I didn't get a complete kit.  Basically I got a fuselage that was never built and a set of aerobat wings that were a little rough. I have to build an elevator and a set of flaperons.  Should be fun.  I would like to use a Subaru engine, if it's not too heavy. 

Lot of knowledge here and I'm try to soak up as much as I can.

20180626_133826.jpg

20181009_175918.jpg

Posted (edited)

A Subaru is a lot of weight on the nose of an A model Avid.   These planes tend to be a bit on the nose heavy side with a 2 stroke.  You will have a single seater after you add enough weight in the tail to balance it out.  If you end up looking for a 582, I have a couple of them.  Here is a link to my add.  And just to be clear, I'm not badmouthing the Subaru cause I have the 582s for sale.  :-)  JImChuk

www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/6292-couple-of-582s-for-sale/
PS  the Kolb looks nice.  Back when we were flying ultralights, a friend of mine kept his Firestar at my place.  Sweet flying airplane.  

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Thanks Jim.  What is the weight difference between the 582 and the Subaru?

1 person likes this

Posted

Flying weight on the 582 with radiators and all is about 135 lbs.  I think a Subaru is over 200.  I have a Subaru sitting in my hangar, but never weighed it.  JImChuk

Posted

Hey Japowell:

I'm new to this world. Would you have contact info for Stacey at RMW wings?

They are exactly what I'm looking for.

THX LaverneA 

1 person likes this

Posted

You will be very disappointed if you put a subaru on the front of your model A. Even though it is a lot of power, the plane will not perform well at all. It will require a lot of lead in the tail to bring it into weight and balance. By the time you get it into a nice flying rearward CG with all the weight you have to put in the tail, you will be at gross weight with one person and some fuel. Its tempting because of low cost and it is a four stroke, but the A is just not designed for that much weight up front.

Weight is everything.

My personal choice for the A would be the HKS if they were still being made. Unfortunately they are not and I do not know if there is any support even if you could find one.

In lieu of that the 582 would be a real ripper on the A if you keep it light, and the engine and mount will be much easier to find. 

Just my thoughts...

Chris

Posted (edited)

I have a bunch of Avid A model parts, flaperons, cut off motor mount for 582, fuse tail section, tail feathers, wing stuts, drag braces, doors, 

Edited by Buckchop