Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

582 no spark

6 posts in this topic

Posted

So i may have burned up my dual ducati ignitions. the trigger wire seems to still be working, i run a tone through it and turn the propeller and it seems to be triggering. However i had a 12vdc plumbed into the black and yellow, thinking thats how the kill switches work, however it seems as though the black and yellow wire is meant to be open, and when you kill it you ground the mag out. well now with the black and yellow wire open, i have a plug grounded out agains the case and am getting no spark. Looking forward to hear back on this. 

Posted (edited)

I was there a while ago.  With only 0.016"- 0.020" gap, the spark is too weak to see in daylight.  I hooked up a cheap ignition flash lamp, and it flashed.  Whew!  Had bailing wire wrapped around the plug base to ground and all.  Couldn't see it!

Edited by Turbo

Posted

Yes spark is very difficult if not impossible to see. I know it’s too late now but all things Rotax are super easy to find with a quick google search. There’s never any reason to be guessing on these especially with wiring. Put a brand new set of plugs in, gap them to .015 and see if it starts. If not get one of these and go from there. If you did fry your coils make sure your sitting down when you price out new ones!!!!

0E78EA86-3AC9-4C13-9832-C409233B1170.jpeg

Posted (edited)

So...I fabbed up a pulley instead of just a pipe to change pull starter direction, new plugs gapped to 16, and she started! Obvi also ran the magneto kill switch properly...for some reason it bugs me that I just moved the switch wiring from power to ground, but I left the wires red... first world problems. Anyways, this validated my ignition and the new throttle linkage I fabbed, now time for final disassembly and assembly. Thanks so much everyone!

Edited by Matthewtanner
2 people like this

Posted

Good stuff glad you are back in business! I fought a spark issue once with a 503 for a month and it was never really an issue. 

Posted

Good work Matthewtanner. There will be plenty more little issue to deal with but it looks like you got this.  :BC: