Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Broken Rubber Donut on C Box

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Here is something we all should know. My rubber donut behind my C Box gave up the ghost 2 flight hours ago, it broke and separated in one place and cracked in another. No real vibrations, but a screetching noise was heard for a second or two, then everything was normal. I still had drive to the prop, and all seemed normal, but I made a landing to be sure.

On post flight, I saw that the donut was cracked and broken. It was probably the original donut, perhaps hundreds of hours old, and is clearly dried out. On further inspection, I noted that the starter gear had separated so the starter would not spin the engine. The three bolts that hold the starter gear to the damper and the magneto flywheel in the back of the engine had sheared.

Here's what I think happened: The donut was probably cracked and old, and I can't say that I inspected it. It finally cracked through in one place, and set up a torsional vibration. The back of the engine had the damper plate, it started vibrating and sheared the three bolts, almost immediately after the donut broke. This made the brief screeching noise, and also made the starter no longer spin the engine.

I pulled apart the C box, (this web site was great: http://www.aerofixaviation.co.uk/rotax-type-c-gearbox-service.shtml   and replaced the donut with a new one. I dropped the engine, and removed the back plate to expose the starter gear, extracted the sheared bolt ends (left hand drill and an extractor) and then replaced the bolts with new ones. Put it all together, mounted the negine, and have now flown about 2 hours with everything copacetic.

Lesson learned - LOOK IN THE INSPECTION HOLES AT THE SIDES OF THE C BOX OFTEN, YOU CAN SEE THE ENTIRE DONUT. REPLACE THE DONUT EVERY 5 YEARS, PER MAINTENANCE MANUAL (PARAGRAPH 10.1)

For those wondering if the 670 caused the broken donut - I doubt it. At 6000 feet and higher where I am, I "only" develop 65 horsepower on the 670, so the donut sees what a 582 gives it at sea level. As proof, the max fuel flow I have ever seen up here is 7.4 gal per hour, the same as what I got on my 582 at full throttle.

donut.jpg

starter gear.jpg

958-964.png

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1137.jpg

inspection hole.jpg

Edited by nlappos
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Nice write up.

And nice that the hardy disk fails in a propeller turning mode like that.

Additionally, for anyone that missed it, in the Yamaha group we saw two Cbox's with damaged bearings because the pinion shaft bolt (bolt #19 in the first diagram above) came loose.  The Rotax service center recommend (whenever servicing the gearbox) to make sure to clean up and dry the threads (male and female) - use plenty of red loctite - get it torqued right (212 in-lbs) - and let the loctite cure before refilling the oil.  Also a pinion shaft axial clearance check is a good idea.

Edited by Yamma-Fox
1 person likes this