Replacing header tank

4 posts in this topic

Posted

During our rebuild of our EAA chapter's Kitfox 1 we are looking for options to replace the large header tank between the firewall and instrument panel that it came with. We are fabricating new fuel tanks for each wing. About 6 gallons each. The original kit had only one wing tank so a smaller header would be fine. 

We have read and discussed the various header tank venting scenarios and engine stoppage and were wondering what our options are. How did the factory change the fuel system on later models?

Thanks

Curt

EAA Chapter 1044 

Posted (edited)

If your doing that much work put at least one 13 gallon tank in. A 2-stroke burns a solid 5 gph. 12 gallons gets you barely 2 hrs with a reserve. Hard hard to cover any ground with a range that short. I have 28 gallons in my 582 powered bird and have flown it over 300nm in one sitting before or it allows to go camping and play all weekend without flying out for fuel.

The later ones had a poly tank behind the seat. I was never a fan of fuel sitting in my lap, the forward C.G., and tiny space for a panel. 

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

I agree that the fuel is a bit skimpy. The problem is that it is registered at 850 lbs gross. The elevation at our airpark is 6657'. Empty weight is 472 lbs. We have played with different W&B scenarios with fuel quantity and header tank location. Good education for the kids. All this comes down to pretty much dictating that this is a plane that stays close to home and is just a local fun flyer. 

Bottom line is we will probably go with 5 gallons in each wing and a 5 gallon header behind the firewall. Not ideal but it gives us 2 hours to play and and hour reserve. Vent the header back up to the inside of one wing tank to alleviate problems. 

Thanks for your help. Our next project plane will have the ability to carry a pilot, student, reasonable fuel and performance for our density altitude. 

Curt

Posted

Hey Curt,

I understand you're at a high elevation and have not much useful load there....but looking a little further down the road, if one day you sell or the plane moves closer to sea level it is of GREAT value to have the possibility to fill more fuel.......One of the prime items a buyer is looking at is endurance .  I bought an Avid with 14 Gallons (only one tank in the right wing) and lowered the price because it takes a LOT of work cutting into the wing to ad another tank. I am very limited in range until I add the second tank because the Avid flyer fuel pick up is far from ideal. 4-5 gal in the wing tank is not enough to fly safe as you will constantly feed from your header when banking/climbing & descending...

My 2 cents