Cabin Heat

72 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Got it done. Just need to install cpu fan. 

ABB21F0C-283E-4715-8589-61A7A55A2AF2.jpeg

Edited by lv2plyguitar
2 people like this

Posted

Can you showed where you “T’d” in? I’m curious as mine is getting close to flying and it’s starting to cool down

Posted

The original heater seems to work well. I tried it yesterday and was surprised at its output. I also dammed the space between top of the firewall and the windshield bottom to stop the horrendous drafts, using cardboard and tape.

I used a car choke cable to pull open the firewall valve, and located the inlet low on the firewall between my feet.

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Posted

Where do you get the fiberglass shroud?

Posted

Where do you get the fiberglass shroud?

It came with the kit, Matthew. Item F-78 on the parts list (I can't find the valve on the list)  I offer mine up for someone to make a splash from, it is fiberglas, about 1/16" thick, nothing fancy. I can also just photo and sketch it in detail, the only fancy interface is the rectangular flanged face that bolts to the radiator, and the circular tube for the orange tubing. More complex is the fancy spring loaded flapper valve that mounts on the firewall.

Posted (edited)

I think I still have one like in Nick's first picture left.  Or you could make one with some blue foam and packing tape plus a piece of 2" OD aluminum tube like I did once.  Cut the foam in the shape you want, run the tube into the foam a bit, wrap it up real well with the tape to keep the fiberglass resin from eating up or sticking to the foam, and in very short order you will have one.  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

How does it attached to the radiator, how big, does it affect cooling much? The winter months are here, so debating if I should just wear a coat or add a heater

Posted (edited)

The other idea I had to keep it compact was a small cpu radiator with fans since they are cheap and I cant find what fred has in the states

Edited by Matthewtanner

Posted

The other idea I had to keep it compact was a small cpu radiator with fans since they are cheap and I cant find what fred has in the states

I just laid the cpu fan on top of the radiator and zip tied all the way around.  Its a great solution until I customize something.

Posted (edited)

In section IV Chapter1 pages 8-11, the Avid MK IV manual shows how to use these factory suppled parts for cabin heat.  JImChuk

PS  if anyone in the US wants the parts shown here, I'll ship them to you for $40.  

cabin heat parts.jpg

heater valve 1.jpg

heater valve 2.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

I finished the installation of the heater core and cpu fan.  Total cost might be $60.00 bucks.  With outside temp at 24 degrees and water temp at 174 the heater core puts out lots of heat.  Will make for nicer flying this winter.

1 person likes this

Posted

I finished the installation of the heater core and cpu fan.  Total cost might be $60.00 bucks.  With outside temp at 24 degrees and water temp at 174 the heater core puts out lots of heat.  Will make for nicer flying this winter.

I am about to embark on this same mission with The Machinist . I also like the looks of the setup Fred posted but seems like it might be hard getting one across the pond at a reasonable price. We have a major Radiator warehouse here locally that I'm told has about every shape and size radiator/heater core imaginable. Seems the fans are cheap. Add a shut off and some silicone hose and we should be good to go. It's never that easy but it sounds good!!

:lmao: 

Posted

I too was very intrigued by Fred's heater solution and the products that company, T7 Design, put out. I got hold of the

USA distributors...no luck. So I wrote the director at the company, Adam Mudge...I believe, and he said he would be 

glad to mail me anything they have.. So I ordered the blower fan they put out... Will follow- up on that motor when received... John O

Posted (edited)

I too was very intrigued by Fred's heater solution and the products that company, T7 Design, put out. I got hold of the

USA distributors...no luck. So I wrote the director at the company, Adam Mudge...I believe, and he said he would be 

glad to mail me anything they have.. So I ordered the blower fan they put out... Will follow- up on that motor when received... John O

John, with the RX-1 you might want to consider using an oil cooler as a heater.  It might give a better amount of heat than the coolant on really cold days.

In the little amount of testing I've done, the engine Tstat modulates pretty far to the closed side when running cold (15 deg oat)  with prop blast going past everything.  My heater core temp was noticably cooler because I think the tstat was barely opening as more cold wind was generated.

If I were installating a new one now I might experiment routing hot engine oil output to a core in the cockpit with a fan, then off to the oil tank.

The oil temp is said to run about 20 deg higher than coolant and, with addtional cooloing (cabin heating) I would think that "more and cooler" oil  in the system could only be a good thing.

Since I'm invested in my coolant heater I might experiment with a second thermostat in the line prior to the main radiator input.  Then when the engine tstat opens nearly all the coolant will be routed through my heater core and when it gets hot enough or when the heater core is valved off by me then the temp will increase and the radiator tstat will open to do the big cooling.  Id plan the radiator tstat will have to be opening a few degrees cooler than the engine one to keep things moving early enough.

Edited by Yamma-Fox
1 person likes this

Posted

I really like all of your ideas Brett, and you have the tech knowledge to pull them off. I work on a little simpler mind set, and have had an exhaust based

heater, in my head for awhile. Many people are turned off by such, so I haven't mentioned it  (another reason I have been so fussy with my exhaust) I only

mentioned these products because they are specific and quality made. Thought others could benefit from them. The 2.5" blower looks perfect for what I

have in mind, so am getting one to try. 

When I get something in my head...I have to build it first. It may be junk, and I throw it out...which I am not afraid to do...But, I will build it anyway. Just who I am...

So, after I build it...I will report on it, and go from there. 

The greatest thing about this forum...Ideas and experience  everywhere...  !!!

2 people like this

Posted

Another thing to consider when installing heat is a defrost fan. The hoses that run into the cabin can run right under the dash. I mounted another cpu fan to blow warm air from under dash to windshield. 

Posted

I took some pictures with a tape measure to show the area the heat exchanger needs to stay within. 

75F09490-F6FE-45CE-AD7F-7A1A938E3ACB.jpeg

Posted

96318950-0A79-4342-A802-ED971BE7D58B.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Good looking option one of the guys in the Yamaha group found:  totally premade with shroud, fan, fittings for $70!

(Just run a plastic hose off one of the duct outlets up for winshield defrost like in my pic earlier)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Under-dash-Heater-12V-Heat-w-Speed-Switch-for-Car-or-Truck-6-port/192343135303?epid=23007808432&hash=item2cc88b5447

Screenshot_2018-11-25-22-13-42.png

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

1583590F-AD68-4140-A265-D75E9BD9FE4D.jpeg

Posted

B1CDF238-5C32-4EF3-AE07-3BE354563CD1.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

Or u can goto ur local snowmachine dealer i just went to polaris to get a T waterfitting for my my sons sled. They r 1"x1"x5/8 high heat plastic. His sled is a 2001 600xc we just did a 144x2" conversion. 

Posted

B1CDF238-5C32-4EF3-AE07-3BE354563CD1.jpeg

Im thinking getting one of these... route up 3 shopvac tubes: one on each of my toes, and the other by the stick where I can warm my fingers!

Posted

Another "warm" idea...  from someone in the Yam group:

FB_IMG_1543459306474.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

My cabin heat quest has started. After looking and measuring a few options I ordered the 6 hole unit off of Amazon. With my Discover points I got it for $45. It will take a month to get here because its coming from China. This unit is roughly 8" x 6" x 3.5".

The only thing I need to find is a heater hose tee for 1" x 1" x 5/8. Right now I have found three options. It looks like I will be paying as much for the fitting as I will for the heater unit. Granted the heater unit is pretty cheap. 

The 6 ports on the sides are 2". I would like to find some plastic nozzles that will fit over the outlets with adjustable fins so I can aim the airflow in different directions. I figure the rear two can aim up under the panel towards the window, the middle two can aim out the sides and the front two can aim towards the center of each seat. Now if I can just find a nozzle that will work. 

The plan is to mount this with the hose inlet/outlet pointing back towards the firewall up as close to the underside of the panel as possible. I'm not sure what kind of brackets I will need to make but I'm planning to make the whole unit removable so I can install it late fall and remove it again mid spring. 

If anyone has any suggestions or know where to find parts I would love the input.

:BC:

61MBUPSHGIL._SL1001_.jpg

Capture.PNG

1x58.PNG

ebaytee.PNG