Mk iv or C?

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey y'all. This plane is on barnstormers, advertised as a iv. My buddy thinks it's actually a C. I'm a dummy, how do I know for sure it's a iv? N number is 578ds. Thanks ahead of time! I know y'all will steer me right. 

received_274435533211182.jpeg

Posted

Right off the bat, it doesn't have a MK IV cowl.  The rudder looks like it's not a MK IV either.  FAA website is down now, so I couldn't look up the N # there.  Some things to look for is small shock absorbers that attach above and behind the seat to hold the doors open.  Some extra tubing there that earlier models don't have.  It does look like it has the MK IV door latch though as well as a baggage compartment door.  The MK IVs also had some additional gussets and such that were not on the earlier models.  Look at the pictures below.  JImChuk

Photo0890.jpg

Photo0891.jpg

Photo0893.jpg

Posted

Thanks Jim. Is it possible it's a iv with some c replacement components? 

Posted

Really, anything is possible.  People do all kinds of things.  Check what the serial # is as well.  Less then 1000 for sure would not have started off as a MK IV.  There is a real old Steve Winder post where he tells of some of the things to look for to identify if the plane is a MK IV or not.  Just looked for it, and didn't find it.  Maybe someone else will chime in.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

The serial no listed for that plane  is 578 which predates the MK IV by quite a bit.  

Edited by wypaul

Posted

My vote is C with a couple 4 upgrades. 

Posted (edited)

It is most likely a model C with later modifications retrofitted. Upgrades like luggage compartment, horisontal split cowling (both "D"), and round rudder (not sure when it was introduced) are very frequent. Model C Serial numbers are in the range 250 - 900 according to most sources. There is an avidflyer.wikia page that list the serial number ranges and major differences.

http://avidflyer.wikia.com/wiki/Models

Edited by FredStork

Posted (edited)

A very important attribute is the useful load, regardless of the model type. What is the empty weight and max gross weight? A good Mark IV is about 550 empty and 1150 max gross, for 600 lbs of useful load. Many C's have about the same empty but only  950 to 1050 MGW

Here is a site that shows the major changes: http://avidflyer.wikia.com/wiki/Models

Here is a list of the MK IV differences:  http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/540-how-to-tell-if-its-a-mkiv/&do=findComment&comment=3003

Edited by nlappos
1 person likes this

Posted

Nick, how do you know if it’s 950 vs 1050 gross on a c? Mine is a c but marketed at iv....gross weight listed as 1050, but...how do I know?

Posted

Matthew, gross weight is by design, sort of, but also what the builder declared and then flew in Phase 1. The FAA paperwork is the final say, but then that means if the builder took a C that Dean Wilson meant to be a 1050 lb C and then flew it at 1200 lbs, a wise next owner should think hard about that. We could get into spar thickness and rib spacing and fuselage member thickness, but I don't know those details very well.

I think the 1050 is the right design weight for a C, and that your paperwork agrees so that is a good number, and the right one, Matthew.

Posted

Nice, thanks

Posted (edited)

I have no explanation, but my Avid C has serial number 1027.  I have the rounded rudder, but an offset fin and no trimtab or luggage compartment door.  Could there have been a time period in which one could order either model??

Edited by Turbo