Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Stretching the AVID

11 posts in this topic

Posted

My Model C Kit is unfinished since new, not covered as yet. I am awaiting some mandatory re-engineering to fall into my lap and then make it happen someday, if I'm ever going to be comfortable flying the AVID (I'm 6'2" and yeah, I know: Wrong Airplane Pal, LOL). However I did sell off the 582 in favor of my newly acquired, brilliantly assembled, zero time, factory new Turbo NSI Subaru, 118 hp., W/cockpit adjustable WARP Drive 3-blade up front. Ahhhh, now it is even more mandatory to shift the Bench Seat more AFT, 4-6 inches, AND stretch the Fuselage 18-20 inches, while also enlarging both the elevator & rudder 20% or so. With the wing extension kit done on my Aerobat Wings, I figure this AVID will be a strong, fine cruiser here, leaving 6,500 ft MSL, Colorado Springs. I dig the Harley configuration totally, but I'm still in disparate need of stretching the cockpit or buying some leg room anyway! Maybe I can just knock my footwells forward? That would help! Ain't happening with the Subaru up front though. 

At this point, I welcome all ideas and especially, photos of those that have already been there, done that. This project may be a dead end for me, but I don't give up any too easily, LOL. 

And let me say this: I would certainly consider any reasonable offer to buy to anyone that would like to assume completion of this project. I'll make you one heck of a great deal :-)

Thanks

LKL

(I sure do miss my O-360 Long-Eze :-(

Posted

Moving the seat will be near impossible.  Extending and lowering the footwell is a far better option.

This "C" model Avid fuselage belongs to a friend of mine who did the stretch and lowered and stretched the footwell like you want to do.

IMG_0263.thumb.jpg.3342fc6b2e6333cd78a09

What ever you do, be sure to factor in the 300 pounds that engine will weigh.  Your gross will still only be 950 (?) that the "C" model airframe was designed to...

1 person likes this

Posted

Lowering that foot area is a great Idea but sure doesn't do much for the looks.

Maybe with the right cowling on there, it will look better.  I do like the idea of the extra leg room, although I don't need it with my 29" inseam legs.  But there may also be more room for a big pair of boots on the rudder pedals.... JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Larry, if you have any other pictures you could post of the plane, and what all they did in the front, it would be nice to see them.  Thanks,  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Larry, if you have any other pictures you could post of the plane, and what all they did in the front, it would be nice to see them.  Thanks,  JImChuk

Jim, what are you looking for specifically?  I can get what ever photos you want.  I'm working with Dave on another project currently and will be right next to "Sputzy".

6BD97D82-BB10-4920-A3CD-AEC67D08FB58.thu

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

I guess everything that starts to angel down towards the front.  If any pictures were available of the front of the fuselage/ floor boards area before it was covered up that would help to show how the modification was done.  Thanks,  JImChuk

Posted

Hey all. Just back onto the thread and the "...what to do..." question. Had a great 10 day, 50 hr road trip to ponder it all...

I'll get out to the hangar before long and scope out the footwell possibility more closely. That would surely help, as far as added pilot comfort goes. My Long-Eze had TWO footwells, so that worked well for my lanky condition. Even so, not sure I'd ever fit comfortably, head to toe, in the Avid.  We bought it to fit my wife's tiny frame, but she's had enough of flying. Nuff said.

I'm mostly worried sick that I can't take advantage of this gorgeous 118hp NSI turbo Subaru. It is just too heavy up front, especially when factoring in the trick cockpit adjustable electric WARP 3-blade I've got  (id: heavy hub assembly). Dang! The little Avid Model C fuselage will have to be kicked back 20" minimum and still kick back both rudder & elevator too. Chances ARE that it still wouldn't be enough to counter-act the front end weight. So there is a fair amount of work to do there, including the extended footwell, if I am to proceed with this project. Yuck!

So now we also have the "...Dean Wilson's designed useful load & gross weight..." considerations, so rightly pointed out above. And let me say my friends, I appreciate every submission to this thread! I'm paying close attention! The Gross Weight this airplane was designed around is no joke; heavy modifications are pushing to the outside envelopes all around. 

I've given a tiny bit of thought to the ultra-light APU 90HP Turbines available, but just not feeling it enough, you know? Great thought however...…...

Honestly, I hate to admit it, but for me, at 66 years old, I'm probably best off selling the NSI Engine & Prop for $5K and then just take the hit on the stock Avid Model C Airframe, including the wing extension kit, for $10K to an eager buyer. If the eager BUYER fits well in the airplane, it will be a better performer with a 4-cyl Rotax or lighter power-plant and no further mods required. It's a quick finish from here! Hell, my Avid is ready to cover & paint. I hate to bail, but I'm currently flying a very fast COZY (that I fit into nicely) and Sailing quite a bit. I just don't have the luxury of time to rework my Avid; my lack of motivation couldn't be worse either  :-(

Unless someone chimes in from the forum, I'll probably test the waters on Barnstormers before too long. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Good luck in selling the NSI. I had one on my model 2 when I bought it, and ended up basically giving it away. Good engines, just heavy. Selling the airframe might be easier since it is a popular airframe. My model 2 is a tad tight for me at 6' (headroom) but I'll make do. Legroom is good and everything else fits. Some have said that a sling seat will give me a little more headroom.  The Kitfox cowl is a bear to try to see over and around. The Avid cowl is much better. Maybe a little rework is in order on the cowling.

Posted

Win some loose some then. I recall loosing $100K not long ago in the stock market. The aviation game ain't for sissies either. 

The fella's Down Under might appreciate the NSI more than us yanks anyway, so we'll see how it plays out. Damn nice engine in so many respects too :flag:

LKL

Posted

Yes its a nice engine and super smooth. Just like the stock market, fortunes have been made and lost in the aviation world. A lot of airframes can handle the NSI and do well with it. They had a good sales pitch back then and auto conversions were a big market.  Currently its not a hot market due to past problems with the PSRU's and not really the engines. Van was asked (RV fame) what the best conversion was for the RV series and his reply was take 10K and convert it to a Cont or LYCO. Of course nowdays, its more like 20K but considering 90% of kits are designed around a cert type engine, its still true. We older Avid and Kitfox flyers aren't left with much choice other than 2 strokes, but they do work in our models. I'd love to have a 100HP 4 stroke that weighs 120 lbs and burns 3 gph at a 5K price. But I am not holding my breath.

Posted

OH that's a terrific reply by Van, LOL. 

We currently have a fella running up and down the runway with a Mazda Rotory in his Long-Eze. OMG, the very worst auto engine conversion ever conceived! Very loud and so annoying with only 2/3s the thrust required to push the Long-Eze around. No way is that going to work out and there isn't a noise cancelling headset built to offset this sucker's noise, to help either he inside or us on the ground, LOL. Awful 

Now, the little Subaru turns a reasonable low RPM and this particular conversion I have is so nicely done. It's Turbo-Charged and suppose to produce a sweet 118 HP.  I've got everything that went with this original installation too. The old guy (original seller) had it mounted in a Zenith, which was previously wrecked by the very same builder (he bought this upgraded NSI converted engine to replace whatever he had in there initially, so I understand). After a time, along with threats from his wife, it was mutually decided to discard the airframe entirely, choosing not to attempt further repairs to the airframe, which was poorly built initially, from what I gather. So heck, I've got a really nice set up for somebody:  Complete wire harness back to the panel, very complete & great instrument panel cluster, key start switch & breakers, the complete & new Zenith chrome-molly engine mount to the firewall, heat wrapped exhaust system all there, all of the beautiful NSI produced dampened engine mounts in place with the new Zenith mount, the NSI polished gear reduction unit with all of the very well thought out engine mods they provided back then, including the dual ignition system they built in, and so much more. 

As a bonus feature, I've even got the beautiful NSI cockpit adjustable electric propeller hub with the 3-bladed Warp Drive set up. Everything is brand new, never run, never flown, still in the crate, if you will, as built by NSI. This is truly a smoking great deal for someone with the right airframe (another Zenith most likely, but there are other great candidates for this water-cooled powerplant). Man, I'll accept any reasonable offer for the whole package at this point. $3,500 will take it all. THAT is a good CASH conversion in my view, LOL. Nothing else comes close, value wise, otherwise. 

I was hell bent on modifying the little Avid Model C, but ain't happening. I don't have that much time left on this earth to hammer out all that I'd need to do to make it happen. 

So pass the word my friends. This IS a good buy for a Mark IV or some other suitable kit plane. 

Thanks all for your inputs. 

LKL