Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

You Said It Can’t Be Done, But Here It Is!

9 posts in this topic

Posted

No photos.  I'll take it with a grain of salt.  The Mangy Fox had an advertised empty weight of 575#.  There was that much dirt in the damn thing!  With the BRS and all the other BS in it, it wasn't even close to that.  Now she's a portly, but happy 702# empty.

I have a good friend who built his Kitfox IV-1050 very, very light and was conscious of every ounce.  He started with a 582 near the 500# mark and after he converted to a 912UL his empty weight was 585#.  Maybe it can be done lighter than that, but I haven't seen it personally.

1 person likes this

Posted

I’m not familiar with the kitfox’s, but if a 912 adds 85# to a 582...my avid just got weighed at 458, and I think I could get it lighter if I paid more attention

Posted

That is real light, but looking at the cragslist add, I don't see any finish paint, if that's poly spray showing, not much for instruments, one fuel tank.  Maybe a lithium battery??  Now I'm going to have to go look in my Kitfox 3 manual to see what the factory claimed.  One Kitfox sales brochure I just looked at claims 440 with a 582, and 485 with a 912.  Doubt many ended up being that light.  JImChuk

Posted

Consider most empty weights in the same category as published horsepower ratings, at least empty weights of for sale aircraft. My experience is that most of the weights are listed as they were when first completed and most likely correct. But we all know things change with the years. Very few are re-weighed after that unless major changes require it.

Posted

Things I see:

>Stock landing gear

>No Lights

>No copilot brakes

>No radios or nav aids

>Simple paint, or as mentioned above poly spray

>No pitch trim option

>No fairings

>Fuses instead of CBs.

Hmm....

Posted

Strangely, the ad says 13.5gal fuel, but there are 2 tank caps?

Posted

2 7G tanks.  Much less than optimal.  Pass.