New Dash

13 posts in this topic

Posted

The old fiberglass AVID C dash was looking pretty ratty so I made one with aluminum.  Hope you like.

IMG_5087.JPG

3 people like this

Posted

I like it.  Looks good!  This is a project I have been threatening to do for years and have not done it yet..  I think I can shave close to 10# out/off my panel.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

I like it.  Looks good!  This is a project I have been threatening to do for years and have not done it yet..  I think I can shave close to 10# out/off my panel.

LOL that's a pretty good savings.  My next project is to improve the lame flap handle in the picture that is hard to find because its so small.  Got any ideas?  Pictures?

Edited by lv2plyguitar

Posted

I like it. And think it looks great

Posted

Those MGL gages are nice! I didn't care for them till I installed one and now I really like them. A pita to wire up though.

Posted

Looks like you have the same brake cylinders I just got from Matco.  I'll post more on another thread.  JImChuk

Posted

Did you make a blank and pound out a new one or did you use the outer rim of the old panel and affix a piece of aluminum to the fiberglass rim??

Posted

LOL that's a pretty good savings.  My next project is to improve the lame flap handle in the picture that is hard to find because its so small.  Got any ideas?  Pictures?

post-36-0-69623400-1433474311.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Dash looks good Jeff.  I made the flap handle with detent notches for my Avid+.  Like Larry did but a little different mechanism with a spring in the bottom of the flap handle tube and an aluminum rod in top threaded to take the detent bolt.  You press the rod end with your thumb to disengage the detent from the notch.

DSCN0885-1.jpg

Posted

Are the notches really useful?

As a handle, you could use a golf ball drilled and bonded to the lever, the touch  is unmistakable!

Posted

Are the notches really useful?

As a handle, you could use a golf ball drilled and bonded to the lever, the touch  is unmistakable!

For me, I wanted "notches" of flaps instead of the infinitely adjustable system that came from the factory.   A personal preference.

I further modified my plane with an elevator trim tab to eliminate trimming with the flapperons.

Posted

The detent notches were necessary on the Avid+ because the linkage is a bit different and the friction will not hold the flaperon in place, especially at high flap settings.  I like to be able to accurately position the flaps; I increased my flaperon travel to 26 degrees and it can sometimes blank out the rudder at the max setting so I like to be able to lesson it one notch on landing if the wind is squirley.  Also I tend to fly mine with a lot of different load conditions that my elevator trim can not overcome and have to add some flap to compensate.  It is nice to be able to do that accurately and not have it move on you.

Posted

:BC:er

Draw something clever like a fancy fox head or fox tail or just a knob shape you like with a 3D program and save it as an STL file. Then I can either 3D print you a plastic handle or CNC machine one out of wood, plastic or metal. Light weight wood such as basswood or pine with a colored stain and poly finish is what I'd recommend. It could be just epoxied on your existing lever.

I had a friend that restored a 1957 Chevy but totally modernized it with power windows, door locks, custom electronic dash in an old original. Etc. He wanted cruise control but wanted to hide the buttons somehow to keep it looking 1957. I designed him a lever to fit over the top of his 1957 blinker lever. It has a channel in it for the wires and the button at the end to engage the cruise. It's all curved and flared to hug his column. I CNC machined it out of wood to keep it light. We painted it  the same color as the cars interior. If you didn't know anything about a 1957 Chevy you would swear it was an original part of the car and you would never suspect it was made out of wood. He's won many trophies with that car. You would never suspect that lever started out as a toilet plunger handle! It was the only piece of hardwood the right size I had the day I made it. It was going to be a prototype to test out my g-code but after it was sanded and painted there was no sense in making it out of metal as it was lighter and looked like part of the car.