Behind the power curve

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I never thought a engine could break off so easy until I watched this video.  Fast forward to 3:30.  Actually if you look carefully the whole firewall and dash came out.  Wow.

Edited by lv2plyguitar

Posted

Wow!  wasn't no light 2 stroke though.  Wonder how heavy of an engine it was, and how good the mount and such was?  Seems like it broke off pretty easy.  Guy sure got out fast.  JImChuk

Posted

Thats one of those engines you see on ebay

add says removed from flying aircraft always stored in dry Hanger.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

The first two attempts looked ok but the sink rate on that last one was too high and with nothing to absorb the shock somethings gotta give. I think if the water is clear and still it  must be hard to to know when it's going to touch. The pilot put the power in too late what a shame :(

Edited by alan von Stark

Posted

That probably wasn’t the first time he landed like that.  My guess is metal fatigue at that joint already existed from having done that a time or 20 before....

2 people like this

Posted

It looked like the plane might have been on it's maiden flight.  I think they forgot to put the rest of the engine mount bolts in or something. A lot of other parts should have collapsed before that engine came off.