Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Different wings

53 posts in this topic

Posted

Dimi3 - yes, those wings were off my Aerotrek. I bought new wings from the factory to comply with their SLSA repair manual but thinking I may repair the old ones and sell or use them on my A+ someday.

Posted

Sorry, but dholly is incorrect.  Camber refers to curvature of the airfoil's meanline, midway between upper and lower surfaces.  Undercamber is concavity on the lower surface.  

Back in my hang glider days we used the 0.058"wall thickness a lot since the tubing sizes step in 1/8" increments, and the next size tubing up or down could be used as external or internal doublers.  The 0.065 wall thickness doesn't quite work. My homemade Rogallo had 2024 t-3 doublers!   A great way to make a wing both strong and light is to step the tubing according to bending stresses, and make the rear spar more flexible than the front so under high loading the wing washes out, driving the airloads inboard.  On the Avids the little wood reinforcement inside the spars at the attach point is for crush/crimp prevention - very smart!

Posted

Sorry, but dholly is incorrect.  Camber refers to curvature of the airfoil's meanline, midway between upper and lower surfaces.  Undercamber is concavity on the lower surface.  

Welcome to the forum Turbo. To be clear, I was not referring either to mean camber (your definition above) or the amount of camber (the difference between the mean camber and chord line). Every airfoil also has a distinct upper surface and lower surface camber and I was simply referring to the lower surface camber.

1 person likes this