Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Two stroke/gearbox

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Anybody seen a Avid/Kitfox two stroke running a belt drive? Anybody know what the offset (additional height) of a gearbox is?

Posted

Don't think there is any real reason why a belt drive wouldn't work.  Opposite direction propeller of course though from a gearbox.  I'm just guessing, but I would say a C gearbox offset from prop shaft centerline  to crankshaft centerline is 3"-4".  Again, guessing, but the small gear is about 2" and the large gear is about 5". Half of each would end up being 3 1/2" offset.  I think usually a belt drive will be more offset then a gearbox.  I'll search google some more. I'm not close to a gearbox at the moment to go measure one. JImChuk

Posted

Thanks, my belt drive is 10" offset. Too high unless I can figure out a way to shorten it and get the proper toothed belt size. One thing about a belt drive is that it absorbs the engine pulses better and in a prop strike, you probably won't do much damage to the engine. It is off a challenger and is a 2.61/1 ratio with a standard Rotax bolt spacing for the prop. Fits my 3202 engine.

Posted

Ya, that would be a long ways different then a gearbox.  I sold a couple of Hirth engines for my friend who passed away last summer.  A 55 HP and 65 HP.  Both had gearboxes though.  JImChuk