Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hard starting...and the cure!

2 posts in this topic

Posted

So my 912 has been taking longer to start as it has been getting colder and running very rough and shaking hard while it gets going. I assumed it was just the thicker oil causing it to crank slower. I am thinking this rough starting contributed to my exhaust cracking.

Anyway the last time I changed the plugs was a while ago, before I flew the plane to Oshkosh on Avgas the whole way. So, I bought a set of plugs and put them in this weekend thinking changing them out might help.

When I removed the plugs they were actually a lot cleaner than I expected. I had removed one or two after oshkosh just to have a look. There was some crud around the electrode and insulators but not so bad that I thought they needed replacement. I decided to keep running them since it was starting and running great, but it was still summer. 

When I took them out this weekend they looked a lot cleaner than when I got back from Osh, but the gap had REALLY widened out! That was surprising because the nothing looked eroded, but the spark gaps were definitely in the 030+ range!

I put the new plugs in with a "tight" 025 gap and all I can say is WOW! New plugs not only made the plane start WAY faster, they smoothed up what has been a SLOW deterioration in engine smoothness. The deterioriation in starting and smoothness was so slow that it had gone unnoticed until it finally became a problem.

So if the colder weather seems to have affected the way your plane is starting and running, Change the plugs! You will be SO happy you did!

Chris

1 person likes this

Posted

I actually run mine at .021-.022" gap for the same reason.

1 person likes this