Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Question that may have been answered already

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Have lurked around on here for a while but just joined last week and am in the process of looking for an avid flyer. Have found two that I’m interested in. One is a C model with a blue head that is close to tbo a little overpriced but nice. The second is a b model that is a “0” time plane with a 532 but the price is good. I understand the 532 is not very well regarded and will either fly it and if it makes me nervous put a 582 on it or if works I will just fly it till tbo then replace it. The problem with this b model is that it Is registered but hasn’t gotten an airworthiness certificate yet. Is it going to be an issue getting one and I should just move on to the next plane or is it no big deal to get one? New to this part of experimental. Just ultralights up till this point. Any insight/opinion would be greatly appreciated!

Posted (edited)

If it doesn't have an airworthiness certificate, it will need to be inspected by a DAR.  I flew a 532 in my B model for a while till I sold it.  It does have just single ignition, but because they use points, they start at slower rpms.  Easier to hand prop that way if you want to.  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

So maybe not that big a deal on the airworthiness certificate? I believe this motor has been converted to a cdi/electronic ignition? Wonder if that’s a positive or negative change from the points? You clearly know a ton about these things. Is an early b model one I should avoid? Any known issues? I know some of the early kitfoxes had a flaperon hinge issue? Same on the avid?  Thanks for the info JimChuck!

Posted

I think all of the Avids are great planes.  I would find a DAR in your area and ask him what to do in regard to getting the airworthiness cert for this plane.  If he won't sign it off, you know not to get it.  Early Avids had less gross weight than later ones.  Great planes though none the less.  Lighter is better. Not sure if a single CDI is better than points ignition, maybe others can comment on that.  JImChuk

Posted

What are the price differences? If you’re using 300hrs for the 582 I think it’s conservative. It’s been enough of a hassle trying to get mine officially approved that if I had the option to buy one with all the paperwork done is pay a lil extra.

Posted

Matthew,

I was going by the 300 hr tbo. I agree that it is probably pretty conservative. There is a big difference in price but I agree that easy paperwork is worth something. The B model has some other things that have me confused. It has a “C” cowling but has the old “A” fuselage style doors which I don’t think a “B” model ever had and a few other odd things. It could be a good deal or a big PITA so just trying to figure out what it is I’m actually dealing with before throwing any money down. Big problem is the b model one is too far to just go look at so it’s just pictures that I’m going by right now. We’ll see how it goes. I’m leaning more to the C but it looks like I could probably pick the b model (if that is what it actually is) for 8 grand. Only a good deal if it really is a b model and isn’t a paperwork nightmare.

Posted

Not sure what they cost, nor what your budget is, but the biggest concern for selecting between the various models of Avid is the Useful Load, the difference between the Empty Weight and the Max Gross Weight. Later C and D models can have 500 to 600 lbs of useful load, two adults and gas, so they are favored. It is good that you are looking at Rotax powered birds, the ones powered by car engines often lose 100 lbs of useful load. Ask the seller what the empty weight is, and the max gross weight, so you know what you are buying.

To get an Airworthiness Cert, the inspector will want to see some build records, to judge the quality and craftsmanship, as well as the type of materials used. Since some areas are inaccessible, like inside the wing and the tail section, the records give the inspector some confidence. Thus, a build photo book is an important buying decision for you.

Posted

On the one with out the airworthiness certificate he has all the build documentation/photos so maybe not too hard to get the certificate. I’m fairly light and so is my wife so gross may not be too big a deal for me personally either

Posted

Actually, if one ends up with a 350-400 lb useful with full fuel, that's pretty darn good in my book. My opinion and mine only, no one really needs 25 gal + fuel tanks flying a two stroke engine, anyway.  Considering most flights are  1- 1 1/2 hours at the most for most people.  Not many are going to do 3-4 hr trips in a Avid or Kitfox so 12-15 gal is plenty. Three rules for cross country trips:  

Fuel up and take off,  fly till you need fuel then land, then repeat #1. 

Posted

Agreed! I won’t be going more than 1 to 1 1/2 hours at a time. 

Posted

Well both of those planes ended up being flops. The B model was actually an A model and the C model had crash damage which the seller did not disclose to me but I saw some tell tell signs of a nose over or ground loop. Had road rash on the exhuast and shoddy fabric repair on a wing tip! Anyway if anybody knows of a B or C model with a 582 on it let me know. Thanks for all the responses guys! Appreciate the help!

Posted

Actually, if one ends up with a 350-400 lb useful with full fuel, that's pretty darn good in my book. My opinion and mine only, no one really needs 25 gal + fuel tanks flying a two stroke engine, anyway.  Considering most flights are  1- 1 1/2 hours at the most for most people.  Not many are going to do 3-4 hr trips in a Avid or Kitfox so 12-15 gal is plenty. Three rules for cross country trips:  

Fuel up and take off,  fly till you need fuel then land, then repeat #1. 

Some areas of the country don't have that luxury.  A quick turn around the patch and I wont bother topping off.  Most of my normal days of flying I will burn every bit I can carry in the tanks and still need fuel.  Not too many stops along the way when your out in the middle of nowhere and the way weather and winds change you can go from 80 mph over the ground to 25 mph real quick around here.  Many trips I have had full tanks and a 15 gallon drum in the seat next to me and a couple 5 gallon cans in the baggage.

:BC:

Posted

There is always the exception. And some do need all the fuel they can carry, just not the average Avid/Fox driver. But then, you don't fly in the average area, either!

1 person likes this

Posted

Ditto to what Leni said; I need all I can get when traveling in AK.  But the auxiliary pod tanks are a great way to stretch your range ! 

DSCN2408-1.jpg