Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How to Pop In a New Starter

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

My starter is acting up, and I wanted to troubleshoot it. But for an Avid Mk IV, it is all the way in back, in its little cubby hole, and sure looked like I had to pull the entire engine to get at it. But what I did instead was cut a hole in the back side of that cubby hole, and open up a flap door that gives me access to the whole starter. An hour after I started the job, I had the starter in my hand. I could have drilled out the rivets, but there is so little room back there, and I don't have an angle-head drill, so a quick job with my 3" cutoff tool did the trick. When I finish with my trouble shooting, I intend to clap a new piece of sheet steel on the hole and rivet it in. There is a ground wire that runs from the forward face bolt to the starter bell housing (#13 in the parts diagram)  that I had to cut since the bolt is almost impossible to get to even with the new hole. I will re-run the grounding wire on re-assembly, probably to a more accessible bolt on the engine case. The photo of the hole is taken from the pilot's knee position looking up toward the firewall.

starter parts.jpg

firewall photo.jpg

IMG_1644.jpg

Edited by nlappos
1 person likes this

Posted

When I was on floats and my starter went out I did the same thing.  I put a few tabs on the outside of the backing plate at used screws to put it back on.  In the past on wheels I had pulled the engine to change it.  

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

I screwed up,  thought you wanted dark gray, light gray with foam backing is gone  to be a bigger package and heavier ,

so back to shipping store

most most important! Don't forget to leave ..040 between starter flange and starter cover, see attached

1545742816924-456167859.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Very good reminder.  The aluminum case will crack in short order if the starter is tightened up all the way.  Been there and done that.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Oh and if anyone needs new orings for the starter (they are funky metric sizes) I have a few sets of them.  I ordered them from a manufacture and had to buy bulk so I have enough to do 5 or 6 sets for the price of what rotax wanted for 1 set.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Good advice. Those multiple rubber rings that act as standoffs on the mounting bolts (#17 on the parts diagram) also help isolate the starter from the engine, I bet there is a vibration mode where the starter whips back and forth at a certain rpm, which asks for the compliance so no metal is fatigued as the starter does the limbo rock.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Rotax 582 Replacement starter choices:

Cheapest (same part number) , $76!!  https://www.snowmobilepartsstartersparts1982.info/?phrase=995430&brand=search

What I bought, $195  https://www.ebay.com/itm/233052881422

Aircraft Spruce, $262  https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ep/starters_xrotax/gplheavydutystrtrmtr.php

Rotax Pricing $903 (but this is a full kit with housing and gear, not a fair comparison)  https://www.air-techinc.com/product_detail.php?pid=2442

Edited by nlappos
1 person likes this

Posted

new starter in, and the door closed on the hole.

IMG_1693sm.jpg

1 person likes this