Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is the stock bungee gear the lightest?

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I don’t have an issue with how it handles on the ground, but if I could shave any significant weight with different gear I’d like that option. Just curious.

Posted

I think everything else will be heavier.  Bungee gear is maybe 10 lb, cabane gear probably about 18, the grove is probably close to 25.  Not counting wheels or anything in any of them of course.  I think the only light gear would be the WIB bungee gear, but it would be a bit more then your standard gear.  WIB = wider is better, it's a good bit wider that the standard bungee gear.  It does put more stress on the seat truss though.  JImChuk

Posted

Just curious about the standard bungee gear. The common opinion is that its really too narrow and makes for difficult landings or ground handling, but most of the older Avids/Foxes that I see in pictures, videos and on barnstormers have the standard gear.  I am sure the wider, heavier, more expensive gear is better, but is it that much better?  Most of the ground loop videos that I've seen all show either the Grove gear or the bush gear so really makes me wonder if its the type of gear or the type of pilot that is the cause?  Even some so-called pro's with bukoo hours still have ground loops. The old standard gear probably has thousands of hours under its belt without incident so it makes me question if new and stronger is the better way to go. If one hits hard enough to bend the seat structure in the bungee gear, seems the gear type might not be the underlying cause.

Posted (edited)

I haven't had enough time on my new cabane gear to really speak from experience, but so far it seams to be a good bit more stable on the ground then the narrower bungee gear it replaced.  Here is a good video of someone who I think is sold on the benefits of the cabane gear.  Allan, you are completely correct though about lot of times the problem is the pilot.  The narrow gear is squirrely though, especially on pavement.  And the seat truss is a weak point on these planes.  Lots of them have been bent, and not always on a extremely hard landing.  Beefing up the seat truss by infilling as much of it as possible is a good idea and will save problems down the road.  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

There is no question that the wider gear is more stable and I will probably switch after I get it flying. Will require modifications to my trailer for the extra width. I rarely land on pavement except when its the county road. 95% of my time is spent on grass or something that resembles grass. And even our few paved runways have an area left or right that is grass. I try to stay away from pavement if possible. For some reason, I can hit a 20' X 600' grass strip every time but put me on a 3000'  paved strip and I'll blow it every time.  Never could land on a 50' wide runway.  I have on occasion, made a few carrier landings (not hard landings, we never do that) when it was crunch time, gusty, tailwind, snake in the floor, and a few other instances.  I did use rubber snakes in and on the plane to keep mice out (works) till I forgot one and it fell out of the overhead compartment in a bounce and ended up in my lap. I did every maneuver in the aerobatic handbook till I got my breath back and body parts let go of the seat cushion. Needless to say I DON'T like snakes!

1 person likes this

Posted

There is no question that the wider gear is more stable and I will probably switch after I get it flying. Will require modifications to my trailer for the extra width. I rarely land on pavement except when its the county road. 95% of my time is spent on grass or something that resembles grass. And even our few paved runways have an area left or right that is grass. I try to stay away from pavement if possible. For some reason, I can hit a 20' X 600' grass strip every time but put me on a 3000'  paved strip and I'll blow it every time.  Never could land on a 50' wide runway.  I have on occasion, made a few carrier landings (not hard landings, we never do that) when it was crunch time, gusty, tailwind, snake in the floor, and a few other instances.  I did use rubber snakes in and on the plane to keep mice out (works) till I forgot one and it fell out of the overhead compartment in a bounce and ended up in my lap. I did every maneuver in the aerobatic handbook till I got my breath back and body parts let go of the seat cushion. Needless to say I DON'T like snakes!

I needed that morning laugh.  Good thing I am at work, the company can replace the keyboard after I shot coffee all over it. 

I can so picture that.  I hate snakes as well!  

Yes, the wide gear is worth it if your flying off pavement or in an area that you have significant crosswinds often.

:BC:

Posted

I've got the Highwing LLC gear, which is higher and wider (and maybe 7-10 lbs heavier) and the difference on landings is miraculous. Stable, and easy to correct. Also, the more firm landings (I searched for a term that wasn't "hard landing") are almost squishy as the springs pick up the load and softly spread the wheels to absorb the bump. 

small gear.jpg

Posted

I think I'll try the original gear first and then if needed, I'll go to a different gear. At least I'll know from personal experience how much difference it is. Don't think it will be the Grove gear, though. Way too darn expensive to buy, heavy, and from what I see, doesn't take a side load very well. The spring gear looks impressive, but I have the old time habit of being partial to bungees.  After studying my standard gear, its not too difficult to widen that gear and make it taller and use the original shock cord setup.  6" width extension on each side is not hard to do and 12" wider would help handling quite a bit I would assume.  But, I have been wrong a few times, just ask my ex-wive(s).

Posted

I just looked up the Grove gear for the Kitfox and the spec's said 60" wide. My supposedly standard gear is also 60" wide.  Maybe 62" so I just guessed that I had the standard gear, maybe I assumed incorrectly, again!

Posted

I’m no chuck Yeager, but I came from the helicopter world. You can’t have lazy feet, but the aircraft responds really well to the correct inputs

2 people like this

Posted

Came from the helicopter world myself. With a big R and a big L tattooed on my feet. And it better be second nature to you.

Posted

I converted my IV-1050 from ATV wheels & bungee gear to Grove wheels, brakes and gear with real airplane tires (21x800-6) and the total weight gain was 12#. 

A very easy thing to accept for all the gains.

Posted

If mine was a later model with more gross weight, I might consider swapping some things. But with 950 lbs to play with, one has to pay attention to weight.  And with higher weight comes a higher landing speed which causes things to change faster and get out of hand quicker. Touching down at 30-34 mph is a lot nicer than 40-45 mph. Me, I am very content with the low and slow crowd. The ATV tires on my original model 4 were a little bouncy on landing no matter how smooth you were. Plus they were maypops at best. Different tires are a must for me. The wheels, I can live with.