Copying gear legs

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I want to copy these gear legs and wanted to seek possible knowledge from this fine group to see if anyone has done this before or has an idea on how one would go about it. I have the tools and have worked with metal most my life so that's not an issue. I'm looking for jigging options. Has anyone done this??

I need to rebuild the top crossbar on this set because someone cut the ends off both sides and don't include them.....grrrr.

Happy New Year!!!

:BC:

gear.jpg

Posted

If you have a fuselage to go by, use the TLAR method of jigging. I've seen several pictures of this type gear for one to go by.

Posted

I do have my fuselage but would really like to not have my plane out of commission while I build them. I do have a spare fuse ties up in the hangar but it was involved in a trailering accident and I'm very sure its not plumb.

Posted (edited)

How about the jig i c guys useing when they build there wingstruts, small version but can setup for one side then flip-flop jig for otherside and do it right on the bench at home.  Ive cn pic but not sure where, mayb SuberAvid has pic he just did new wings and mayb had to build longer wingstruts on that "sweet bird of his!!!"

found it, Avid hanger, Fat Avid, Extended wing progress

Edited by Buckchop
Add info

Posted

If I was going to do what you need to do, I would hang the plane from the ceiling, put the new gear legs on, and put some headless bolts into the front attach points of the landing gear.  (or 1/4" rod) Then you can slide the tabs on that attach to the cabane, from front and back, tack them in place, then take the cabane off for the final welding.  Now you will know it will fit, cause it was on the plane already.  With the headless bolt, you can make adjustments on the forward tang without pulling the bolt out.  You will probably find that you have to grind some of the attachment bracket that is welded to the fuselage to make some room for the cabane tangs.  JImChuk

Posted

Photo1170.jpg