Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fuselage Frame Paint

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Gents- I will be recovering my Model C soon, going with Oratex.  I am debating repainting the fuselage in the process.  Majority of the fuselage paint is in good shape, no rust present.  I am simply thinking of updating the color. ;)  Just starting the homework....

• Who knows what type of factory paint - or - powder coating was used by Avid?  My plane has the normal white/off-white color.
  • If a paint (not powder coat), would there be any hesitation in painting over the existing finish (with light prep of course)?  I would like to avoid stripping the existing finish if possible.

Thanks for any input.

Posted

I need to ask basically the same question about fusalge paint Avid used on my C Model. Mine has some surface rust that needs touched up. Any help on color and manufacturer of epoxy used?

Posted

Sorry forgot to mention its the off white or cream color.

Posted

Can't say what Avid factory would have used to paint fuselages.  Lot of them were probably sent out with no paint at all.  When I recovered my last two projects, I sandblasted the fuselages to bare metal, and used an epoxy paint to repaint them with.  I do remember, the Avid fuselage had a green primer, zinc oxide maybe/probably??  JImChuk 

Posted

I'm just starting to refurbish my Avid - the 'original' frame paint is in very bad shape.  I forgot to take the batteries out of the ELT before it sat in a shed for a few years, and the batteries exploded and leaked, so I may have to replace the tubing under where it was at - I haven't had a chance to asses the damage to see if it is just some surface rust or worse.

I plan on stripping everything back to the frame, cover the wood 'bits' with aluminum tape (mine has the wood spine), media blast the whole thing and then use a good quality epoxy.  That should hold up as long as I'll be around to fly the plane!

So, Jim, if you're in Gulf Shores this winter and miss working on an Avid, I'll have one in North Florida with lots of work to be done! :lmao:

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't think very many Avid fuselages were factory delivered w/ powder coating. Most were painted and I think the majority of them were zinc oxide primer and regular (non-epoxy) topcoat paint. If you need to freshen an old fuse, remember the new paint is only going to stick to the old topcoat. How well that is still stuck to the old frame is key. My Mk-IV paint had begun to flake and peel. Because of this, I agree media blasting it to bare metal is good. You can buy white epoxy with primer cheap at an auto paint wholesaler and spray it yourself easy enough if you have the equipment. If your wallet is bigger than your energy level, have a powder coating co. media blast and powder coat it all at once if you can, a bare fuse will begin rusting in a matter of hours.