Another Flapperon Failure

27 posts in this topic

Posted

One thing most miss when they have a ground loop, even a minor one where the wing touches the ground without visual damage, is they need to replace the wing pins and bolts, plus they need to replace that rod bearing if it happens to be on the contact wing. Even hitting that wing on a hangar door or some other object, given the leverage from the wingtip, puts a lot of stress on fittings. Most look at a scuffed wingtip and say "man, I was lucky" and continue on without any thought to stress. In most incidents we are at fault instead of a rod bearing or part. And it could have started many flight hours before and we never give it a thought. Most are unaware of what they can't or don't see. How many replace that rod end every 2, 4, 5 years or so. Or is it the original from when it was built?  We have a habit of not putting the odds in our favor. Alright, I'll shut up now. I guess I am just tired of people putting blame where it shouldn't be.

Posted

YOur absolutely correct......if it looks iffy at all, replace it. That way when you are up in the air you wont be as concerned about it.....