New Avid Flyer - Ontario Canada

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I just got it into my garage yesterday and it takes up more room than I was expecting but it's not terrible.  It is registered as a Model B but it doesn't have the bulging cowl and it has the rounded tail so I am not totally sure about that.  It has the STOL wing and a gross of 910 lbs / 413kg.  The wheels & brakes need some attention because it was only ever flown on floats or skis.  The spars were falling apart at the flaperon attach points so that will be the biggest job.  It didn't come with floats but it came with wheels and skis and a big box of extra parts.  It should be a fun project and even more fun when it's done.  

1.jpg

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

Posted

Welcome to our group.  I've built rib tails to repair rotted or broken off rib tails.  Not that hard really. Just use the right plywood.  1/4" is 12 ply, and 1/8" is 5 ply.  Here is a link.  Here are some pictures I built of the rib tails I made.  I have a post describing how I did the job some where on this forum.  I'll try to find it and put a link to it later.  JImChuk

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/wppages/finnishbirch.php

Photo0110.jpg

Posted

The previous owner was in the process of repairing the wings when he sold it to buy a different plane.  He had some samples of Oratex which looks like great stuff and he made some aluminum rib tails.  It looks like the plan was to sandwich the remaining sold plywood along both sides of the web.  Has anyone done this type of repair before?  It seems like a good idea but I am wondering about connecting the cap strip.

8.jpg

Posted

If I had to fix your plane, I would build the rib tails like I did.  That is the way the Avid factory was doing it, or selling the rib tails like I made to people.  If you epoxy my style part to the rear of the spar, and splice the cap strips as for forward of the rear spar as they reach, it will be just as strong as original.  I don't like the aluminum scabs on each side, especially with the cap strips ending in the same place.  I did something like that with wood scabs on one plane, but saved the cap strips without cutting them.  That plane has flown quite a few hours since with no problems.  Here is a link to that thread.  JImChuk

www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/3373-broken-rib-tail-repair/

PS  I just looked at your rib tail pieces, are the bottom two all aluminum?

1 person likes this

Posted

Yes they are all aluminum and look to be well made.  I am sure the aluminum parts are strong but I am concerned with joining aluminum to wood.  Like you said, Avid made them all wood from the factory so that is probably the best route.  I totally agree with your point about extending the cap strips as far forward as possible to get the original strength back which is why I don't really like the aluminum parts in the picture.

Thanks for the link.  That is exactly what I need to do.

Posted (edited)

Here is a link to what I used to cut out the rib tail sections in my picture.  Really fairly easy, time consuming yes, but do able.  JImChuk

www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/4952-hello-from-canada-mark-c-avid-project/&page=4#comment-43180

Photo0111.jpg

Photo0112.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

There looks to be an aluminum colored substance on your ribs, is it paint or maybe a Polyfiber UV protection? Whatever it is, it will probably need to be removed to get any kind of epoxy or glue to bond to the wood underneath. Someone else on this forum might want to chime in on this?

Posted

Yes, for sure