582 Crankshaft Rebuild?

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Is it possible to rebuild a 582 crankshaft? Is there anyone that does that successfully and at a reasonable price? It sucks to buy a $1500 crankshaft to replace 2 seals that have failed while everything else is running and working great.

Dan

Posted

I think Steve Batty in Glendale, Az. does. WWW.airscrew performance.com

Posted

Thanks! I didn't realize he did that. I have one more possibility to check before I commit to having crankshaft work done.

Dan

Posted

Rotax Rick also rebuilds cranks 

Ron "Rick" Davis
rick@rotaxrick.net (Preferred)
(239) 572-0021 (Cell)

Posted

Check with a local machine shop. I think the crank is pressed together. You could give them a new set of seals. I could be wrong. Good luck 

Posted

It was suggested that I pressurize the rotary valve shaft cavity and try to determine which seals are leaking. I did that but no real sign of leaking. It only dropped 1 psi after sitting for a little over 2 hours and part of that loss is probably due to checking the pressure. I also tried turning the crankshaft by hand several times to see if that caused a leak. No difference. I will try pulling a vacuum on the cavity to see if I find any leaks with that. I want to determine what is causing my oil loss before I decide to do a crank rebuild or waste money on anything else that might not be needed. It was not an air bubble. My bleeding process is pretty detailed when filling.

Dan

Posted

If you only lost 1 lb pressure, the crank seals doesn't sound like your problem.  JImChuk