Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Jabiru serial number reference

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Can anyone steer me in the right direction, I am looking at buying a Jabiru 2200 for my Kitfox III. I know I read somewhere the changes by serial number range. My searches are not coming up with it today. The serial number is 22A 2071 model number 2200A. Thoughts and comments are welcome I’m sure there are some members on here that can enlighten me.

Posted

I think that is one of the early hydrolic lifter models.  Not the best engine they made if it is.  I'll do some digging and post my findings on when they switched from the solid to hydrolic lifters.  JImChuk

Posted

Thanks for the link TJay. I see in it that serial #2068 was the last solid lifter engine.  They were the better earlier ones.  I think most of the issues have been with the generation 2 engines from #2069- # 35XX (don't remember the exact # and to lazy to go back to that link just now)  Maybe John will join this discussion, he had one of the earlier hydraulic lifter engines I believe.  I've put over 500 hrs on # 903 and it has been good to me.  JImChuk

Posted

Thanks guys that helps a lot. Too bad, I had high hopes for this one. I also came across this. I thought it was a interesting read .

jabiru_engine_reliability_analysis_report.pdf

Posted

Alot of people bad mouth Jabiru especially the ones that have never owned one. What gets me is when Rotax sends out bad untested valves and guys like Trent Palmer are sitting idle that seems to be acceptable. Anyway fly what you want to.

3 people like this

Posted

I am just trying to sift through all the internet info and make a informed decision. I have rotax engines and like them most of the time, when my wallet isn’t stinging. But I would really like to try a Jabiru. Just can’t afford to get stuck with a boat anchor.

2 people like this

Posted

M 2200 is S/N 3267 which is generation 3. I believe yours is Generation 2. It may be solid lifters and if so is very early. Mine has hyd lifters and finer fins than the earlier generations.

Have you tried contacting Jabiru here in the states?

John M

1 person likes this