Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Drilling holes in fuse tubes

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi...I’m currently building my firewall.  I drilled the horizontal holes in the tube between the outermost engine mount holes to attach the firewall.  I have built the starter shroud, but it looks like one has to drill and attach it to the tubes also( v tubes to lower engine mount hole).58B697B9-0B6D-4957-97DA-151F2BDC3362.thu30E4BF4E-CC18-4EE0-ABB5-B87F4A14AD3D.thu  Maybe I’m wrong, but I hate drilling into tubes.   The manual calls for drilling holes for the seat and the cross over tubes between the wing attach points for the windshield and skylight.  Seems maybe I can attach the seat with cable ties.  I guess my main concern is the windshield and skylight attachment.  Has anyone attached the aluminum formers with adel clamps or such :  as not to drill into the tubing.  Maybe it’s not an issue, but I figure it’s better not to put holes in that structure. 

Thanks

1 person likes this

Posted

I've had 4 Avids, and several Kitfoxes so far, and all of them have the holes drilled in the carry through tubes for the aluminum formers you mention.  Never saw any problem with that.  The starter box is just to keep the firewall intact and separated from the cockpit.  I believe it will stay in  place just by being fastened to the firewall.  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

Thanks , 

yeah I’ll prob just go with the manual.  Have to say I have enjoyed putting this plane together.  Seems very well built and engineered.  

2 people like this

Posted

Yes, following the manual is usually the best course.  Keep at it, and one day your will be posting pictures of it flying!   :-) JImChuk

3 people like this