Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Matco MH whls run tubeless

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Has anyone run the Matco MH series wheels tubeless? Matco offers a o-ring and valve stem kit so you can use them with tubeless tires but I was wondering if anyone has experience with this setup. Dresser tire now has the 8.50x6x4 tundra tire that can be run  tubeless at slightly more $ than the tube type but not as much as a tube would be and you could lose the weight of the tube.

Posted

There is a guy name Al on the kitfox Facebook that has done something maybe similar

Posted

Hi Smartguy..

I have a set of WHLWI62L main wheels and in order to save weight and to make field repairs easier I ordered the oring/valve stem kit...well that kit does not fit! There is no provision to fit that o-ring.

I then proceeded to thoroughly clean the mating surfaces of the rims and made a thin fillet of M3 marine 5200 sealant around the mating surface - groove. Just enough to make it air tight but not too thick to prevent the rims to seat properly. Let it cure completely before you assemble the rims. I fitted a solid brass stem kit, sealed with the same sealant.

It has been one year now and I am happy to say there is absolutely no leak and it works great for me. I carry a motorcycle tire repair kit in the plane...takes 5 minutes to fix a flat if that ever happens. No more stupid tube removal and repair (ever tried to pry the rim off the tire in the field....a real PITA)

My 5 cents...

2 people like this

Posted

Thanks Flywise,

You are echoing my fears on the o-ring kit. You just saved me a few bucks and more importantly headaches. There is no substitute for experience!

Posted

I used the tubeless setup with o-rings for 5 years on MH wheels.   ZERO ISSUES.  I rarely even had to add air.  

2 people like this

Posted

I see that the WHLWI62L and the MH wheel are different where the o-ring would seat. The WHLW wheel has no groove where the o-ring would set like the MH wheel.  Thank  for the input.

1 person likes this