My magnum rebuild

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Since I now have the Fat Avid flying and reliable enough to take anywhere I want to go, I decided to start on the Magnum rebuild. Over the Christmas holiday I brought the Magnum home and brought all the various pieces and parts into the garage so I can start work on the project in Ernest. 

The first task was to make sure the engine mount still lined up with the air frame after the fuselage repairs. Dean Wilson did the fuselage repairs, but I had not checked engine fit yet. I am overjoyed to find that the engine/mount fit perfectly back on the repaired air frame!  There is a lot to do and realistically this project could take a couple years but this is a great start.

IMG_0857.JPG

3 people like this

Posted

were the wings buggered up?  I can't remember how bad the ol gal was pranged.

Nice when things line up like they are spose to!

I am about to bring the Coyote into the garage and start in on that rebuild.  I need it flying by spring time.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

So Jealous here whats that thing got for an engine on it?

Posted

Following. Great news Chris. My Dad loves his Magnum and I'm the first one on the list when he goes to sell it. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Coooool.  Looking forward to following along to your future posts, photos and videos.

Posted

Thanks guys! This is just about the best place I could be. I have a flying plane and this as a project. The only better scenario would be I had never balled up the Magnum in the first place :-)

The engine is a 150HP lycoming 0-320. Some of the more major pieces of the project will be:

1) strip and recover the fuselage. There is a lot of fabric removed in the back of the plane not visible in the photo. I plan to use Oratex to cut weight and learn a bit about the product. 

2) bend up a new firewall. The original is badly crinkled.

3) fix and paint all the busted up fiberglass in the cowling assembly.

4) wings are "fixed" but I need to figure out if I want to re-cover with oratex or patch and paint match existing covering. One real nice thing is that the whit oratex is a PERFECT match for the white poly fiber paint currently on the plane.

Lesser items:

3) beef up the tail wheel spring perch for stinger spring tail wheel

4) Decide whether to stick with Grove spring gear which I like because it allows me to easily carry a kayak or other large things under the plane or go with a more exotic shock absorbing gear.

Posted

When I wrecked my Magnum, I bent the grove spring beyond repair. At this point my options are open as to what I put under it for main gear so I am trying to figure out what to do. I have a near new set of 29 inch AK bush wheels that were not on my plane when had my bad landing. It probably would have helped if they would have been on which is kind of sad. 

I do have a set of machined aluminium grove gear mounts I can use, so all I need to do if I want to stay with Grove is order the new spring. I think it would cost me about $1800.00 last time I checked.

Other options are bungy gear similar to stock, Cabane style gear with bungies or shocks and various other more sophisticated (and expensive) shock type gear options.

I love the grove gear for the fact that I can carry large things under my plane like my kayak. I have also carried lumber and other things for people so it is very handy not having a bunch of suspension components clogging up the underside of the plane. So I give high marks to grove for the convenience of making the underside of the plane useful.

What I don't know is how much better the other types of suspension are. I've had basic stock bungy gear on my two tricycle avids and I prefer the grove gear to them.

I thought the grove spring with the 29 inch tires was pretty soft and fluffy. Can anyone comment as to how the grove spring compares to various shock type suspensions? I need to make a decision which way to go. I hate to give up the ability to carry my kayak so that might just be the decision maker, but I would like to know how much better the shock suspensions are compared to the spring...at least get as many opinions as I can.

Thanks!

Posted

I checked with Grove and the replacement spring (even with me having the mounts for the spring) is up to over $3,000.00. I am looking into alternatives. In the mean time not a lot has happened in the rebuild other than a lot of staring, thinking and planning. Hopefully that will make me more efficient at completing tasks when I am actually doing them! :-)

1 person likes this

Posted

I've been thinking about what to do with the gear on this Magnum if my Dad sells it to me. I sure like the looks of the gear Barry put on his Magnum. The stock gear looks to narrow and short which seems to be the norm on the Avid line. Right now I'm going to run the tri-gear until a decision is made. 

I worked all weekend getting a few things done on the Magnum. It got new fuel filters, rebuilt the Master cylinders, installed new rudder cables, re-installed the peddle assembly and drained the brake system of fluid. The brakes system had DOT 5 in one side and 5606A in the other.  All I have left is to refill and adjust the brakes, inspect all the controls, reinstall the panels and cowl screws. Someone put square head screws on the cowl.  :wacko:

Posted

Shock Monster Gear? The Grove is more streamlined too. But one down is the bounce. Armchair quarterback here. I have been doing a lot of reading, Holiday Inn Express, etc. ;) I have Avid's Bush gear on mine... well partially.  I am fixing to get back on it soon. And I have done the snowmobile spring mod on it.

Posted

This Magnum is on its way to being rebuilt as we speak!

I bought the project from Chris in January. I am filming my progress on YouTube if you care to follow along. I can start a new thread as well.

Posted

I bought the project from Chris in January. I am filming my progress on YouTube if you care to follow along. I can start a new thread as well.

How about a link to your YOuTube Channel?

Posted

Chanselor is making great progress on the Magnum!

It will be back in the air much quicker than I was progressing. I am excited for both the Magnum and Chanselor! 

Posted

How about a link to your YOuTube Channel?

That might be useful huh?

https://www.youtube.com/c/chanselor

Thanks!

Posted

I just purchased a partially built Avid Magnum w/ O-290-D w/ 800 hrs.

I don''t have all of the parts and need an assembly manual.

Anyone know where I can get parts and a manual (PDF or hardcopy)?

Help appreciated!

Avid.jpg

Avid Wings.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

What parts are you looking for I have a project and a lot of parts