Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hirth

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Hopefully making a road trip tomorrow to take my engine to the Hirth dealer in Ohio to have it gone thru and a gearbox installed. Done away with the fuel injection system and going back to carbs. Also going with the carbon fiber air shroud which is a lot lighter and not prone to cracking. Biggest problem is going to be reversing the fan so it pulls air from the front to the rear instead of pushing it forward. Engine was 71 lbs without exhaust and gearbox. Should come in at around 100-105 flyable. Was running 2.5-3.0 gph at cruise so expecting 3-3.5 gph with carbs. Should perform somewhere between a 503 and a 582 with 55 hp and 53+ pounds of torque.  Has a pretty flat power curve down to 4000 rpm from max 5500 rpm. Should work good in a light model 2.

Posted

Day late and a dollar short and all, but to bad you didn't get that Hirth 55 HP I sold last summer when I helped a friends widow part out his Avid.  I had that engine gone through by the local shop that I use, they did a complete inspection, put new seals, gaskets and fan belt on it.  Had a gearbox on it also.  Sold it for $2250 plus shipping and I built the crate for free.  Had 160 hrs on the engine if I remember right.  I also sold his 65 HP hirth that had only 6 hrs on it.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

That was a sweet deal! The Hirth 55 hp is a good solid engine. I have 1K in mine but have to buy a gear box and prop so it works out to a tad more than yours. Its got 37 hrs TT on it but I always have one gone thru before I stick it on an airframe, even though I know this engine from day one of its life. The 65 hp is the same engine just 800 more RPM to get 65 hp. 1000 TBO but recommended teardown and reseal at 500 hrs. And contrary to hangar talk, several have gone beyond 1000 hrs without failure. Unless they were murdered. But we need to take hangar talk with a grain of salt. Just like I unintentionally insulted someone, my brother's girlfriend's uncle had a Hirth and it wasn't worth a darn. We all know the stories. In place of Hirth, add oil, props, airframes, or about anything else related to flying. Most who have been involved with Avid/Foxes know what does work and what does not by now. Unless something new comes along.

Edited by Allen Sutphin
1 person likes this