Tire comparison 8.00-8.50's

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just some side by side pics. I went from 8.00 to 8.50's. Not a huge difference but much softer. It tracks on the ground MUCH better. From one end of runway to the other probably half as many pedal inputs to keep it on centerline. Not sure why the softer tires would make that kind of difference but as a student pilot I'll take all the help I can get!

1008181818.jpg

20180413_161630_resized.jpg

1013181551.jpg

Edited by Elkonastick
2 people like this

Posted

I'll bet it isn't the size or softness, it is the lack of tread. Those look like great tires, how much and where did you get them?

2 people like this

Posted

Good looking Airplane!! 

1 person likes this

Posted

nlappos, I bet you're right, lack of tread. Difference is amazing.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yep, that's why grass is so nice, the tire makes little side force when in a small skid, and doesn't mind a little angle to the motion. Makes me want to try it, too!

1 person likes this

Posted

I picked up a set of those tires for mine as well but have not yet tried them.  Local dealer had them on sale last fall for a good price.  I am more into having and adequate size tire for the things I do here but not overkill like the 30" airstreaks I had on mine as they killed the climb.  If you can't afford the 26" bushwheels (I think the perfect tire for these birds but $$) then this is probably the next best thing if your running the 6" wheels.  If you have the 8" kitfox atv wheels then the nanking tire is stupid cheap and works very well.

:BC:

Posted

I'd be willing to bet you have an alignment issue.  The larger, softer, smooth tires are allowing more slippage which masks the problem.

The photo with the 21x800/6 tires on the plane even looks like it has quite a bit of tow out.  With the geometry of that gear, as it moves through it's travel it will make it worse.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

How much weight did you gain? And akflyer If you need someplace to store your 8.5’s just lemme know :-p

Edited by Matthewtanner
1 person likes this

Posted

I'll weigh the 8.00's and get back to you. The 8.50's are just under 10#'s each.

Posted

I made the exact switch you did!  There is no going back!!! I love the 8.50s

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I also made the same switch and best i can say is i love it. Hahahahaha here is what i came up with when changed,  and im running the clevland wheels and single puck brakes, i can hold mine back on the ground to full rpm, 

the tire, rim, brakes with stock 6ply 8.50x6 was 25lbs each

the tire, rim, brakes with the desser tire 4ply 8.50x6 smooth was 18.4lbs each 

Edited by Buckchop
2 people like this

Posted

So there is a possibility I loose some weight!!! I’m gonna try and see if I can go tubeless but I don’t know what kind of wheels I have, been trying to get everything else fixed before I spend money on silly things

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Also the Nanco 21x12x8 tire, the aluminum rim, Matco rotor, brake pad, caliper,  weigh in at 18.8lbs

mayb ill sell off my nanco's ect off the plane im building and convert to 6" standard aircraft stuff so can put the desser 8.50x6 4ply on this one also 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Buckchop
1 person likes this

Posted

Nice looking bird!  I gotta believe that lateral squishiness is a good thing, as is using the tire as suspension in preference to the landing-gear legs.  I think the lateral motion of the tires as the landing gear legs pivot sideways under load whilst careening down the runway adds to the tendency to swerve and careen more, so is destabilizing.  The guy who sold me my Avid C advised only10 psi in the tires.  I think this makes sense.  Fresh, stiff bungees, or stiff springs help too, as does a wider gear with larger angle of the gear legs out from the fuselage, so the lateral motion of the tires is less.

1 person likes this

Posted

Well since i took off the 21" nanco's on Bluefox, and since i have ski's on the Blackfox, i thought be good pic comparison of the hight of them compaired to other sizes i had.  The tape on the tire tells what size tire it is. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Great comparison pic!

Posted

And for the really cheapo pilots like me, a nice golf cart tire at $60 a piece!  The tire is pretty slick, and behaves well on pavement. And I swear my golf handicap is going down, too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Turf-Glide-Rib-8-00-6-4-Ply-Carlisle-Lawn-Turf-Tires-508-040/401339548793?epid=18017807239&hash=item5d71b38479:g:VXsAAOSwubZZ56tg:rk:2:pf:0

turf gliode tires.jpg

Posted

YOu could get a 24" long laser level and do this.

1) snap a straight chalk line on the hangar floor from directly below the prop spinner thru the tail wheel and aft.

2) now park the plane as closely as possible over this line with the line centerd under the plane

3)Now measure from right tire centerline to that line, do the same for the left tire center line, the idea is to get the plane centered over the line.

4) now, put the laser level horizontal to the outside of the tire and shoot a beam on the wall behind the  plane. YOu can shoot a beam on the horizontal stablizer leading edge as well. Then look at where the beam hits the horizontal tail on the left and right side... this will give you an instant picture of if the tiers are toed in or out...

5) If found it best if the tires are parallel and flat to the ground. YOu use have grove gear you can add shims. if not, I have not done this but have heard of people putting a pipe on the axle and bending the gear leg to get it back in alignment.... to each his own i guess.... but if aligned properly, makes for a better handling plane on pavement.

Posted

That is a great tire comparison Buckey,  The only thing missing is the logical next steps; the 25x12x9 ATV tires with the tread ground off, the 26x12x6 AK Bushwheels and the 30x13x6 Airstreaks.  I've gone through all of them and still have them in my collection.  Probably the 850's, Nanco's or 26" BW make the most sense for the Avids and certainly allow a faster cruise by at least 5 to 10 MPH, less fuel burn, plus better climb as Leni said. I just feel a little better pushing into unknown landing areas and to make up for my mistakes with the bigger tires, but I know they are not needed about 99% of the time.

Posted

For those using the 8.50-6 desser tires…what tubes are you using with the stock Avid wheel?

Posted

For those using the 8.50-6 desser tires…what tubes are you using with the stock Avid wheel?

i just used the same tube that was in the 8:50x6 tire i took off the plane. 

Posted

And for the really cheapo pilots like me, a nice golf cart tire at $60 a piece!  The tire is pretty slick, and behaves well on pavement. And I swear my golf handicap is going down, too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Turf-Glide-Rib-8-00-6-4-Ply-Carlisle-Lawn-Turf-Tires-508-040/401339548793?epid=18017807239&hash=item5d71b38479:g:VXsAAOSwubZZ56tg:rk:2:pf:0

turf gliode tires.jpg

Those are exactly the tires that my Model C came with - then manufacturer name was different, but when I replaced them the only change in all the sidewall was the manufacturer name to Carlisle.  I don't recall who manufactured them originally.

Posted

Armstrong......