Sealer used for fuel fittings ect.

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I just reinstalled all of the Curtis Drains on the plane after replacing all of the o-rings. I have an old set of drains out off of another project and they put them in with some kind of brownish sealer. After years the stuff is still tacky. I was wondering if you guys install your drains with some type of sealer or teflon tape?

Posted

I use the teflon paste with good results, would not use tape because there is a slight chance of getting a small piece in your fuel system.

Posted

I have been using teflon tape but I cut it back about 4 threads with a razor knife before installing the part. Seems to work but I have always felt there is something better to use. 

Posted

Old stuff is probably something like aviation form a gasket. Permatex is the one that comes to mind off hand. Brown and tacky still that is probably what it is. Once you smell it you never forget it....

1 person likes this

Posted

Old stuff is probably something like aviation form a gasket. Permatex is the one that comes to mind off hand. Brown and tacky still that is probably what it is. Once you smell it you never forget it....

That's what I thought at first but this stuff is a lighter color and does not smell like that nasty Permatex. :wacko:

1 person likes this

Posted

fuel lube?? its a light brownish sticky kind of waxy texture.  that's what I use on the metal to metal connections.  The form a gasket is what I use on the metal to plastic header tank connections

1 person likes this

Posted

I've been using that aviation grade Permatex form-a-gasket for over 25 years. It always works on fittings.

1 person likes this

Posted

It really never gets hard, always sticky.

1 person likes this

Posted

This is what I used on my kitfox on all fittings Brass/Alum/Fiberglass so far so good.

ZZ24025.jpg

Posted

Pretty much the same stuff. Haven't seen the old stuff for a while, may no longer be available. Seems anything that works good, isn't around long.

Posted

I get it at NAPA

image.jpg

1 person likes this