Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Primer for fuselage

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Is epoxy primer the only primer we can use under the poly fiber system or is urathane okay to use without causing problems with the fabric coming loose.  When I bought my project the guy said it was painted with rustoleum primer.  I brushed on some polytac and it didn't seem to bother it.  But to be safe what should I put on it. 

Thanks,

Jim 

Posted

Epoxy is what you should use but if its not coming loose with polytac and your happy with the finish then test some more areas and go for it. I'm sure hundreds of planes built light and cheap have used Rustoleum for many years.

Posted

I have seen a few primed with Rustoleum and the poly fiber did fine. I just never had much faith in rattle can primer on 4130 steel tubing. It does good if undisturbed but a nick or scratch in the primer (easy to do with rattle can primer) it (rust) will filter under the primer. Epoxy primer or any two part primer is pretty tough stuff. On a tailwheel aircraft, the rear end catches hades anyhow unless you operate on black or grey grass all the time. Don't know what that is but I've heard of it.

Posted

Thanks guys.  When I sanded off the primer to attach some fittings it had another paint under it.  A black paint and a yellow tinted paint.  It had a strong odor to it.  Not sure what that was. Epoxy it is.  

Posted

Just to muddy the waters a bit more, not all Epoxy primer paint will stand up to MEK.  If you are buying local have the seller call the manufacturer to verify.  I found out the hard way.  Poly Fibers work for sure but they only have two colors.

Posted

I read somewhere that a builder used transtar epoxy primer.  I painted my A Model Ford with transtar.  I'll check it out.  Thanks