Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Getting Closer

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I just logged some more time in on my builders log and its up to 701 hours.Im building a Super Skyraider and on their website they say builds quick in 300 to 400 hours,my ass.Maybe Im just really slow but it is starting to take shape.Wings are finished and fuselage is ready for paint.582 is going to get torn down for inspection and reseal.It only has 121 hours on it but has set for 5 years.Might be asking quite a few questions in the next few weeks so bear with me.Randy

post-104-12840898751553_thumb.jpg

post-104-1284089892724_thumb.jpg

post-104-12840899100635_thumb.jpg

post-104-12840899343071_thumb.jpg

Posted

I just logged some more time in on my builders log and its up to 701 hours.Im building a Super Skyraider and on their website they say builds quick in 300 to 400 hours,my ass.Maybe Im just really slow but it is starting to take shape.Wings are finished and fuselage is ready for paint.582 is going to get torn down for inspection and reseal.It only has 121 hours on it but has set for 5 years.Might be asking quite a few questions in the next few weeks so bear with me.Randy

Looking good Randy! I think alot of the build time gets lost when the destructions are not very clear and alot of time is spent scratching your head trying to figure out what goes where and how. Keep plugging along and she will be in the air in no time!

:BC:

Posted

Right on...Now it starts getting good when it actually starts looking like an airplane. Wait till that final time you put the wings on!!

Posted

Got the fuse painted now I will finish up inside and start final assembly.The paint turned out pretty good but never the way you want it to.The blue turned out way darker than I thought it was going to be and the yellow stripe looks almost gold.I should have sprayed the last couple coats of the filler in white instead of gray but Im happy and my wife likes it,thats a big plus right there.Ive been flying a Piper Vagabond for my tailwheel endoresment, my instructor told me if I could fly the Vagabond then I should be able to handle the Super Skyraider.He has a single place Skyraider that he flies alot so hopefully the transition will be half ass smooth.I have alot more respect now for tailwheel pilots,I thought with my drag racing experience along with my 172 experience it wouldnt be that hard.Wrong again,you actually use those pedals on the floor.Randy

post-104-12858950438748_thumb.jpg

post-104-12858950814308_thumb.jpg

post-104-12858950999494_thumb.jpg

Posted

Looking Awesome Randy the end is in sight. Your gonna be taxiing before you know it. Since you have an N number I'm guessing you have started your paperwork process. Keep up on that it can be tedious especially in that area. Are you using the Spokane FSDO? Villipoe is a great guy to deal with. Are you going to have to wait till spring to fly her?

I too got a new appreciation for TG pilots when I started. I learned in a Champ after 200 hours of 172, 150, and some Cherokee time mixed in there. I spent 5 days at a formal school and quickly learned how much I didn't know about flying. I feel I'm a much better hands on pilot since learning to fly a ragwing airplane.

Again keep at it man your so close!!

Joey

Posted

Looking Awesome Randy the end is in sight. Your gonna be taxiing before you know it. Since you have an N number I'm guessing you have started your paperwork process. Keep up on that it can be tedious especially in that area. Are you using the Spokane FSDO? Villipoe is a great guy to deal with. Are you going to have to wait till spring to fly her?

I too got a new appreciation for TG pilots when I started. I learned in a Champ after 200 hours of 172, 150, and some Cherokee time mixed in there. I spent 5 days at a formal school and quickly learned how much I didn't know about flying. I feel I'm a much better hands on pilot since learning to fly a ragwing airplane.

Again keep at it man your so close!!

Joey

Im actually flying from a grass strip at Athol Idaho,Hackney Airfield.My instructor is Roger Dunham,he owns Rare Air Flying Service.Its almost like going back in time,1947 Piper Vagabond,prop start,75 horsepower but its cool as hell.I take my camper up there and spend the weekend while my wife takes pictures and probably laughs her butt off at my not so picture perfect take off and landings.I'll get it eventually and when I do Im a thinkin its going to be a blast.Im getting on that paperwork right now,the N number is just a reserved number so I need to retain it.Its the same number as my racecar so thats how it came about.I,ll post some flight pics after this weekend. Randy

Posted

Any updates?