Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tuned pipes

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So the snowmobile guys get a lot more out of there engines just by using tuned pipes. I haven't seen much on here about them. We are going through my 532 and my mechanic is asking me about a tuned pipe. Is there a reason I don't see much about them. 

Edited by Browning

Posted

Aircraft require a wide power bandwidth. Tuned pipes produce peaky response with greatly reduced power off peak.

1 person likes this

Posted

What he said. If all you want to ever do is climb at wide open throttle they can work. Very difficult to jet and cruise power settings will not make the engine happy. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Actually the Rotax exhaust systems are tuned, across a wider rpm range. The folks who make pipes for the 582 and 670 (I am thinking like Mike Hair, who made mine) make them tuned for our purposes. A two stroke wants to have the sound wave in the exhaust pull the hot gasses out of the cylinder as part of their natural action.

2 people like this

Posted

I think a guy could make them work if you wanted to take the time to actually tune them. I use to use them on sleds all the time and holy cow did they make the 2 strokes come alive from bottom to top. But you would probably toast a few engines before you got it figured out.

1 person likes this