Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

IVO medium inflight adjustable prop

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Any one running an IVO medium?  2 or 3 blade?  How about with the constant speed governor?  Any one know how that governor works?   Inquiring minds want to know..... (or at least one does :-)   Any comments welcome.  JImChuk

Posted

I've never dealt with the IVO CS, but the WD uses an electric system for pitch adjustment. But it was either cruise or take-off position. No infinite adjustment.  Most all IFA (constant speed) props are oil controlled by the governor thru the engine oil, by means of a hollow crankshaft. A few older ones had a separate oil tank for the governor but went away with the use of a hollow crankshaft. They can be a pain in cold climates. Some pilots don't cycle the prop enough times prior to take-off to circulate the oil to get it warm. I don't know what type the new 912 uses. I suspect the electric type due to the gearbox being in the way, unless they use a oil feed line and a return line from the pressure port. Unless one has a definite need for one, they are not worth the trouble and they are pricey. A quick ground adjustable is almost as good. If one gets into a spot where changing pitch can get him out of, then spending 5 minutes changing the quick change pitch might suffice. Unless the grizzlies are chewing on your tail then the prop pitch might be the least worry!

Posted

The IVO constant speed unit is an electronic device that apparently monitors the rpm and pitch to adjust the prop pitch with the electric motor.  I have no experience with it though, but am curious.  JImChuk

ivoprop.com/inflightmediummodel.htm
ivoprop.com/constant.htm

Posted

I am running the IVO Medium 3 blade with IFA but not the constant speed controller.  I have been running it on my Subaru for at least 5 or 6 years (would have to check the logbook) and have it on the Rotax 912 now.  It has been a great prop. I had the first motor fail within about 23 hours and sent it back, they rebuilt it and it lasted 12 hours so sent it back and asked them for a new one which they sent (all free of charge).  That one lasted about 600 hours before I had to replace it at a cost of about $200 with shipping.

I like the prop and it was a big improvement on the Subaru over the ground adjustable Warp Drive to get the max performance out of it.  It seems to work great on the Rotax as well but I don't have enough time on the combination to know where the best cruise settings are for fast or slow cruise yet.

1 person likes this