Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Brrr to cold to fly

26 posts in this topic

Posted

Here in Iowa by my place its getting close to -21 F how is it around the country by your place

Posted

I just looked and it's -25 at my home town in northern Mn.  I see the post offices in Mn aren't going to deliver mail tomorrow.  I think we have all gotten soft.  Durring the last week of Jan, and into the first week of Feb. in 1996 we had record cold in Mn.  Tower Mn which is about 30 miles from me set the all time cold record for Mn at -60 F.  My poor brother had a number of mail routes where his company hauled mail from the Duluth Post office to different towns in different directions to the different small post offices.  He called me up cause the air brakes had froze up on the truck he was driving.  I went and got some tools and went over to where he was stalled out and we got it thawed out.  It was up to about -40 by 9:30 in the morning that day when I got to where he was.  No cancelling the mail back then.  And glad I was on a beach yesterday.  Northern Alabama had light snow this morning.  It was fun to hear about all the cancellations.  I thought:  what wimps.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Mid thirties here today painting my newly covered gear legs in my unheated hangar.  Not to bad really, that Poly Tone is amazing stuff.  The manual says below fifty it will not dry but they are in California.  I've paint in thirty degree weather several times with good results.  I do tent it up over night and get the temperature up to the forties to drive off the solvents so it is ready to paint the  next morning.  Last coat of paint goes on tomorrow.  Actually it is dry to the touch by the time I get the gun clean.  

Glad that cold stuff missed us this time.

Posted (edited)

I guess we have a heat wave here in WV. Its only 11 deg this morning with 5" snow. I guess we have more global warming!

Edited by Allen Sutphin

Posted

-29 this morning. Yikes!

Posted

I showed a bottom out last night of -30F.  Wind chill was close to -60F.

Posted

About 40F this morning but will get up to high fifties later on. I actually had to put a flannel shirt on to walk the dogs, Brrrr. :lmao:

1 person likes this

Posted

-18 in the middle of Illinois 5 or 6 years ago is why I now live in Florida!  Bit chilly here today though, only 38 degrees at 10:30am, and that is COLD in Florida!

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

22 above here yesturday and today. :lmao:

Posted

We haven't had winter yet here in Eastern Washington. Looks like it might not even happen.

Posted

Here in Northern Nevada. 25 for the low, and 56 for the high yesterday. Winds were light and variable. Nice flying weather. Was up for an hour.

Posted

-6 now, dang global warming!

Posted

Just was looking on the web, and found this.  23 years ago.  I live about 3 miles SW of Tower.   JImChuk

MN-Coldest-Day-Feb-2-1996.jpg

Posted

Dang, I would have thought it would have been Frostbite Falls,MN. :lmao:

1 person likes this

Posted

And back to a little more normal temps. We r at -11 this am. 

Posted

Dang, I would have thought it would have been Frostbite Falls,MN. :lmao:

Think you misspelled one of the words.  :lmao:

1 person likes this

Posted

Balls? :lmao:

1 person likes this

Posted

Official NWS station in Cotton is two miles east of my house, -56F yesterday for the lowest in the lower 48 states.

Posted

I think it was 56 here today as well.  Had a + in front of it though.  Don't freeze Mark.  Any ski flying this winter?  JImChuk

Posted

I think it was 56 here today as well.  Had a + in front of it though.  Don't freeze Mark.  Any ski flying this winter?  JImChuk

I haven't put my skis on yet. It's been cold and windy. Now all of the open fields have huge drifts on them. If the weather breaks I will try to get them on though.

Posted

I had the skis on in the last week of November, and made the first flight of the season on Nov. 28.  Last year was late for skis with my last flight on April 15 if my memory is correct.  That has to be the latest ever.  In 2016 the first ski flight was Nov. 20.  That was the earliest on skis in at least 15 years.  JImChuk

Posted

The Avid is parked for the winter but I have the skis mounted up on the trike. I was hoping to make it to the Jackson ski plane flyin at McGregor last Saturday but I don't care to do subzero temps in the open air anymore. Hoping to get out on them tomorrow for the first time this winter.

Posted (edited)

Is this the first year for the McGregor ski flyin?  Don't think I ever heard of one there before.  Used to be a big one on Lake Millacs.  Not sure if it's been going lately.  Just went and looked on utube, and see video for it posted for 2018.  I pulled up the 2014 video, and at .43 I see our yellow and white Chief in the middle of the picture.  Door is open on the plane.  Maybe I"ll make it this year.  JImChuk

PS  never saw this video before.  Started watching it, and at 1.54 I'm taxing by in the Chief

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted (edited)

Third year for McGregor. First time I saw that video above too, I'm doing a "high speed" pass in the trike on skis at 26:00. Can tell it's high speed because the skis are normally at very happy angles but go into aerodynamic braking mode at high speed. Also, if you listen closely you can hear the auxiliary jet engine whine. Iirc it took me three hours to get there, think I was the last or next to last, 105th to show up. They had just finished giving away door prizes.

Edited by marcusofcotton

Posted

Jr's Corner on Red Lake Feb 23, Twin Pines Iceport on Millacs March 2.