Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Help with windshield pattern

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi, I was wondering if there is any source for a pattern for the model 3 windshield ?  

Thanks Wade

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Wade if you don't find something I have an old one I can trace onto paper and send to you.  Mine is a MK IV but they should be close.  My kit came with the shape already traced onto the Lexan not to sure about earlier models.  It was over sized and required a fair amount of fitting.

Oops, I bet you are talking about a KF.

Edited by wypaul
2 people like this

Posted

I have a Kitfox model 4 windshield.  I'm pretty sure it is the same as a model 3.  Anyhow the new windshields come with the pattern roughly outlined about an inch or so outside the final fit.  I can go out to the shed and get the measurements on this one later this morning.

Windshield Patern1.jpg

Windshield Patern2.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Kitfox 3 & 4 are different as the 4 has more rake angle at the cowl,but would serve as a good guide

cheers

Dusty

1 person likes this

Posted

Offer still stands at least it would make a starting point.  It is easy enough to make your own pattern with heavy wrapping or freezer paper.

Posted

The windshield with my kit came as a 48"X49" piece of Lexan with lines where to cut to get to the starting point to install it.  Here's the measurements for a pattern that is about 1 to 1.5 inches outside the sides of the finished windshield.

Start by drawing a centerline down the center of the 49" length.  Then measure from that center line to draw the red side lines of the windshield.  Then you can temporarily install it on the airplane and and mark where to make the finished cuts.

Kitfox windshield pattern.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Thanks guys.  I borrowed an old windshield from Bucky, but it is a model 1 and it’s a bit small.  Thanks tcj... I think that will work for a starting point for sure.  Again thanks for the reply’s!

wade

Posted

Used your pattern tcj ,  worked well, did have to do the final trimming, but worked great,

Thanks!24972348-3F30-432A-A3F8-05B9729B1E99.thu42826C46-5747-4683-A838-A78F5A2D33F4.thuCFA161ED-F416-46F6-B01F-8F4FD772BB23.thu

3 people like this

Posted

Used your pattern tcj ,  worked well, did have to do the final trimming, but worked great,

Thanks for the update.  It's good to know the pattern worked.

Posted

Looks good.  Would this pattern also work for the Avid A?