Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid Airdale with Harley engine on barnstormers

82 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm not sure if this helps but I got it from "Sky Ray" site.

Typical RPM range for Engine and Prop. Prop Recommendations? Any problems running max RPM for extended time at cruise?
( 3800 to 4200 cruise. 5000 to 5200 max depends on gear ratio. The longest we have ran one at max power is 2 hours.)

http://www.skyray.us/faq.htm

Posted

I looked at the site just now as well.  Here is what they claim for static thrust, a plus a picture of the engine.  204 lbs though.  Not light by any means.  JImChuk

What are the reduction ratio and prop dia / pitch? Any thrust numbers been developed yet?
1.52, 1.62, 1.68 and soon a 1.92 to 1. Pitch just depends. Thrust has ranged on the 80 hp from 320lb. to
390lb. depending on the prop. 100 hp 420lb to 470lb. we have ran from 62" to 70" so far. 2, 3 and 4 blades.

clean-motor-frame.jpg

Posted

I think I'll stick with the 2 stroke.

Posted

So, finally have the results of the prop pulls which we did today:

-  68" Warp Drive 2 blade @ 13 degrees = 260 lbs @ 4600 on the tach / 2396 at the prop

-  78" x 35"  2 blade CATTO = 325 lbs @ 4300 on the tach / 2240 at the prop

The original set up and how I received it was 10 degrees on the warp drive.  Probably around 200 lbs of thrust achieved.  It's amazing it left the ground!  Anyway, it was confirmed that it was under propped.  Just discovered I have a leak in the right wing FG fuel tank.  Anyone have any ideas on the best approach to sealing it?  it is traveling out to and dripping from the rear spar attach bolt.  I am really hoping I won't have to open it up.

Posted

Well sounds like the Catto should get it off the ground.  I was curious cause hadn't heard anything from you on how it was going.  I've used KBS coatings fuel tank sealer several times.  It seemed to do the job.   JImChuk

Posted

Jim, what was your process for the tank sealing?

Posted (edited)

I followed KBS instructions best I could.  Took the wings off and had them in a wing rotater so I could turn them every which way.  They suggest using some sheet rock screws in the tank to knock stuff loose, but I didn't do that because of the baffles in the tank.  I think they have a video on their website or on youtube.  JImChuk

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/Auto-Fuel-Tank-Sealer-Kit.html

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/tank-sealer-directions.html

Edited by 1avidflyer