Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Brakes

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Would anybody take a guess at what kind of brakes were on the original Kitfox 2 in 89'? They were hyd w/matco master cyl's. They are on the original 8" wheels and the smooth 20" tires. Can't find any name or numbers on the brake housing. Not a disc brake in the normal sense, but an internal disc brake. Maybe Tracy O'Brian or Black Max?  BTW, they work good.

Edited by Allen Sutphin

Posted

Are you referring to this type like Buckchop had for sale recently? (see link) Matco slave cylinders for sure.  Earlier Kitfox used a brake called Air Hawk if my memory on the name is correct.  In that one the rotor was held onto the wheel hub with allen head screws in the center of the rotor.  JImChuk

www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/6546-nancomatco/

Posted

I have a complete set of those id sell also Jim,   They where Hurst AirHawk, but the caliper was mounted on outside diameter of rotor i belive,  

Posted

Maybe you have a pic you can post Buckchop for Allen.  Thanks for giving the correct name on them.  I had a set of those on the Kitfox 1 at one point as well.  JImChuk

Posted

That sounds like what you are describing. Thanks. Really don't want to put out 1K for a new brake system. Same for 1K-2K for a new bush gear.  Most all the pictures of the Kitfox 1, 2, and 3 all show the original gear. Not saying new isn't better, just too pricy for what it is. A torch, $100 worth of tubing and a couple weekends work is much better.

1 person likes this

Posted

That sounds like what you are describing. Thanks. Really don't want to put out 1K for a new brake system. Same for 1K-2K for a new bush gear.  Most all the pictures of the Kitfox 1, 2, and 3 all show the original gear. Not saying new isn't better, just too pricy for what it is. A torch, $100 worth of tubing and a couple weekends work is much better.

I would love to see what you do with the torch and the weekends. I'm thinking to modify my gear as well. Lengthen the down tubes and kick them out a bit. Seems easy enough. 

Posted

They can be widened without adding length or taller without widening or do both. Depends on what you plan to do with the plane. I don't plan on doing any serious bush flying outside of the usual mountain strip so the monster gear isn't really necessary.  A tad higher would be ok for extra prop clearance.  May not look as tough as the monster gear but whatever skins the possum.

1 person likes this

Posted

I posted a rough idea I had under "wider gear with stock legs". It's in general hanger. Love to see what you think.