Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Installing firewall on an Avid Model A

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Without cutting the motor mount off of the front, is there a trick to installing the firewall? Any Model A flyers evr done this?  I'm open to all suggestions.  Thanks

Posted

Post a picture of what you’ve got, maybe we can crowd source an idea of something that’ll work, even though maybe we don’t have an avid a.

Posted

Was just looking at some pictures of my friends Avid A model.  Looks like it was made in several pieces that overlapped each other and the tubes went through where the different pieces of metal came together.  Hope that makes sense.  JImChuk

Posted

Thank guys.  I tried to make a pattern of it and it seems like I will have to make 4 holes for the tubes to pass thru, but to get to the holes I will need to cut a slit thru the firewall and slide it over the tubes.  Or, I could cut it in half vertically and cut a slit to the holes. That might be easier. I was hoping it would be easier than that. Any more ideas?  I'm open to all.

1 person likes this

Posted

Poster board is cheap. You will have a firewall in pieces and making the sections to work around a welded on mount is where the poster board comes to play. Multiple pieces with lap joints nicely fabricated to fit around the welded mount will look good compared to slits. Went through this in the '70's when my brother built a Cassutt F1 racer. They weld the mounts on those airplanes to eliminate the weight of 8 spools and four bolts for the engine mount. A cheap Harbor Freight bead roller with joggle dies is a nice tool for this job.