Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How critical is the flaperon himge angle

7 posts in this topic

Posted

In the manual for the mk4 it says flaperon hinges should be at a 50 degree angle off of rib tip. How crucial is this? I would like to mount the hinges closer to 55-60 degrees to get the bolt in the center of the rib like the outboard hung bolt is.

Posted

In the manual for the mk4 it says flaperon hinges should be at a 50 degree angle off of rib tip. How crucial is this? I would like to mount the hinges closer to 55-60 degrees to get the bolt in the center of the rib like the outboard hung bolt is.

If you are gonna do that take and C-clamp them on to the ribs and do a test fold of the wings first.

Posted

Kind of thought that may be the reason for the angle. I’ll do that. Thanks for the input!

Posted

One thing I wish some one would have told me is to attach the inboard hinge and the far outboard hinge then pull a string line under the flaperon to set the other two. You do this because if your a tiny bit off.  when you move the flaperon up and down it will bend the trailing edge of the wing up and down. I noticed that when I did mine.  so I pulled it off epoxied the holes shut and started over.  Live and learn I guess.

Posted

Drilled rear  holes that were already marked from factory on the onboard and outboard ribs then clamped the hinges at 50 and they don’t bind so I drilled the other two back holes but I haven’t drilled the front holes on any of them yet because it puts the bolt closer to the edge of rib than the back holes. I guess what I’m trying to say is that the back holes are centered from top top bottom of rib. It if I put the front holes at where 50 degrees would be they are closer to the bottom edge of the rib or not centered like the rear holes if that makes sense.

Posted

One thing I wish some one would have told me is to attach the inboard hinge and the far outboard hinge then pull a string line under the flaperon to set the other two. You do this because if your a tiny bit off.  when you move the flaperon up and down it will bend the trailing edge of the wing up and down. I noticed that when I did mine.  so I pulled it off epoxied the holes shut and started over.  Live and learn I guess.

Hey Tjay,

you're perfectly right but I also found out that if you do a perfect alignment job being static on the ground, then in flight with the wing flex you will have quite a bit of binding when you deflect the flaperons one way or another (trailing edge moves in flight). For me I found the solution was to have a bit of "slopp/play" in the plastic hinge bushings (but no play in any control linkage).

My 1/2 cent

Posted

Makes sense flywise.