Rebracing the tail section

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I have been knocking out several projects over this last wintery month and now I’m to the point I need to get after finishing up the tail area. I welded in another brace, added a pneumatic tailwheel in place of the hard maule tailwheel and cut a little out of the tailwheel back spring to lessen its stiffness just a little. Now comes recovering the hole I cut into the fabric. I admit I cut to much of the fabric but it’s got to get covered back up so I can fly. I don’t have any fabric, paint or supplies so I’m aiming on making a cover either out of aluminum or Lexan to cover this area. I have fashioned tabs out of 4130 and have used small zip ties to mark there intended position. I’ve practices taching some tabs into a piece of tube and they will work good and are easy to install. 

Im having a hard time getting started as with any project Ive never done before and feel a little nervous about. I’ll post a couple pictures and see what you guys think.

02877E76-7117-4042-B603-48554F94A0FF.jpeg

41C958B7-D3C4-4552-AE40-662390C3E3CF.jpeg

D7BDF29B-8995-4405-8AFE-893E3C396802.jpeg

C79655E2-A628-4421-BEF3-862D96108830.jpeg

F94E6E58-E7FA-4D45-872C-5EE6AC7E656C.jpeg

19054304-B547-49AB-88B4-39E0C4457D8C.jpeg

Posted

To each his own, but it really looks like a fairly easy patch with fabric.  But then I have everything including the color from the looks of it to do the patch.  JImChuk

Posted

You’re going to have to do some fabric work. With the cut fabric, the integrity of the covering is compromised and it will not be airworthy unless you terminate / patch it properly even if you are adding additional access covers. This would be a great time to call in some help from a local tube and fabric expert to get you on the right track. The work you’ve already been doing is more advanced than fabric skills so you shouldn’t have any trouble picking it up. 

Thanks for sharing your fabrication adventures. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I recommend the poly fiber practice kit, it has everything and is reasonable. I think there's enough fabric to do your job, but you could always buy another yard at the same time. The instructions are tops. 

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/pfpracticekit.php

Posted

Thank you for all the comments. I have helped with fabric before. The issue is gathering all the material. I have a call out to a couple guys who are suppose to know the local guys who are good with covering and have supplies. Between the two active local airports I should be able to find some help. 

Posted

Poly tack smallest can is a pint, and cost $15.  Poly brush, spray, and tone come in quarts and are about $26 each.  The uncertified fabric is about $5 a yard, and certified is about $12.  Fabric is 70" wide, so one yard would be plenty to do your patch. That is about $100 plus shipping if you get it all from Aircraft Spruce.  Don't need that much chemicals, but then you would have some spare stuff left over if you ever need to do some patching.   JImChuk

4 people like this