Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Who has pull start with clutch

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I’ve got my avid sold to a guy who is older. I’m worried he may not have the ass I’ve got to start the motor. It’s a Rotax 582 with 74” prop. I don’t want to sell him a plane he can’t fly, so I offered to put a clutch in it or a starter. I’m hoping a clutch reduces the starting effort significantly, because I really don’t wanna pull the motor to put a starter on it.

so...how easy is it to pull start a 582 with clutch? And how bad is the clutch install. Thanks!!!

Posted

clutch install is easy.  Pulling the engine takes less than an hour if you stop and drink a beer.  I would have him try to start it first.

Posted

1 hour job takes 4, 4 hour job takes a day, day job takes a week...well job, well I haven’t finished any week jobs yet.

Posted

I'm with Leni as well.  have him try it.  If you have the primer rigged up, it should go pretty easy if it's cold.  Warm should be easier.  But pull it through a few times before you prime it if it's sat for a while.  Gas/oil will run down into the plugs and pulling it through first will help to blast that stuff out.  way harder to pull start if you are sitting in the seat as well, but I'm sure you know that already...  :-)   JImChuk

Posted (edited)

I'm a little old guy with the pull starter.  It's not that hard, and I don't have the clutch, although it does tire you out.  Usually, if it doesn't want to start, it's oily plugs.  I passed on the clutch for safety reasons. If the engine stops, a freewheeling prop is very draggy, so your ability to glide to a better landing spot is very limited.  A low-inertia prop is a better answer.  But yeah, gotta chime in with those advocating letting him try it first. 

Funny, JimChuk, but I find it easier to start seated.  My cord pays out about 8" before engaging the engine.  This is critical to making it easy to do while seated.  Gotta loosen the seatbelt first, though!

Edited by Turbo

Posted

If you can start your bird from the cockpit I’m impressed. I can only assume my geometry is off, because I have to put chocks behind my tires