Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Keep it light hand prop

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Rotax 532. I want to keep it light. Should I take the electric start off and just hand prop.  Is it worth it. There a lot of weight there. 

Posted

You will probably find it a good bit easier to use the recoil starter to start it with then hand propping it if it's cold and hasn't run in a while.  My 532 would kick over on the first blade if I was restarting it after flying or running it for a bit.  Cold start though was easier with the pull rope.  JImChuk

Posted

Pull rope. Sounds lighter than electric start.  Not familiar with them  

Posted

Recoil starter, like on a snowmobile or an ATV  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

stay electric, get an earthx battery and save a ton of weight that way.  Just my opinion.  If you have ever had an inflight engine failure you would be really really happy to be able to hit the key while trying to pump the primer and possibly get a restart and avoid the trees or worse.  It has saved my ass twice.  I could not imagine trying to fly and yank on the rope trying for a restart.

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted

Now thats one heck of a way to think of it, simple advice and worth a million!!!! 

Keep ur power cable runs short as can and keep the wireing and coolant plumbin simple to boot. 

Old school bush pilot trick b4 we had cool stuff,:ph34r:  hahahahaaaaa 

1 person likes this

Posted

stay electric, get an earthx battery and save a ton of weight that way.  Just my opinion.  If you have ever had an inflight engine failure you would be really really happy to be able to hit the key while trying to pump the primer and possibly get a restart and avoid the trees or worse.  It has saved my ass twice.  I could not imagine trying to fly and yank on the rope trying for a restart.

Great words, akflyer. I am waiting for one of us to pack a few Lion cells in a brick for about $50, slap on a monitor board, and create a 4 pound 30 AH battery. Heck, I might try that myself.

1 person likes this

Posted

Great words, akflyer. I am waiting for one of us to pack a few Lion cells in a brick for about $50, slap on a monitor board, and create a 4 pound 30 AH battery. Heck, I might try that myself.

Be careful with Lion.. They tend to explode not just melt down.,  There are much safer technologies out there.

2 people like this