Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Condition inspection time..582 checklist?

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm having the same A&P do my conditional this year as last year for the first one before the DAR came. He only charges for half a day at a builder assist rate so it 's pretty reasonable. Last year he wanted to compression test my 582 but didn't have a way to do it. He finally gave up and just had me run it and do a mag check. I've looked at several checklists for this engine and they all vary. This guy is somewhat familiar with Rotax but I don't think he has much two stroke experience. I'm trying to make him happy for the sign off with the least pain in the ass possible. My Blue Head only has 110 hours on it and all the time change items like gear box oil, plugs, ect are fresh before my last Idaho trip. I'm just curious what people are doing to a 582 during a conditional inspection besides a visual inspection of everything. He is coming Saturday morning. I pulled my cowl, turtle deck and the covers off from below the horizontal after a short flight this afternoon. I've done so much work on this thing the past year and flown it so much I'm pretty sure it's going to go smoothly.

Posted

I'm having the same A&P do my conditional this year as last year for the first one before the DAR came. He only charges for half a day at a builder assist rate so it 's pretty reasonable. Last year he wanted to compression test my 582 but didn't have a way to do it. He finally gave up and just had me run it and do a mag check. I've looked at several checklists for this engine and they all vary. This guy is somewhat familiar with Rotax but I don't think he has much two stroke experience. I'm trying to make him happy for the sign off with the least pain in the ass possible. My Blue Head only has 110 hours on it and all the time change items like gear box oil, plugs, ect are fresh before my last Idaho trip. I'm just curious what people are doing to a 582 during a conditional inspection besides a visual inspection of everything. He is coming Saturday morning. I pulled my cowl, turtle deck and the covers off from below the horizontal after a short flight this afternoon. I've done so much work on this thing the past year and flown it so much I'm pretty sure it's going to go smoothly.

Its well known that flown airplanes are better off than hanger queens so it probably will go smooth.My buddy has an experimental with a 503 Rotax and he always does a compression test on his annual.They open up the inspection covers and look at the pulleys and cable tension.Check all the control ends and rod ends, not really sure how they gauge good from bad but he always passes.As active a flyer that you are I sure it will be a piece of cake.I,ll bet the Alaska boys would know what will need to take place.Those guys are major 2 strokers. Randy

Posted

I made up a Condition Inspection checklist for use with my 582 Kitfox. Might be more than you need but here's the Engine Groups list if you want to pick and choose:

3. ENGINE GROUPS

NOTE: After removal of cowling and prior to cleaning the engine with solvent, inspect for any noticeable fuel or exhaust leaks.

CAUTION: Ground firing coil primary circuits before working on the engine.

a.) Engine

__ Check engine mount to fuselage for security

__ Check engine mount for corrosion, cracks

__ Check engine mount bushings for condition, security

__ Check firewall for cracks, openings, distortion

__ Check engine manufacturer maintenance schedule complied with

__ Check cylinder compression: Front _________________, Rear _______________

b.) Engine Controls

__ Check carburetors for synchronization, even control cable travel and stops

__ Check throttle control at cockpit for security, proper operation

__ Check throttle control at engine for security, proper operation

__ Check choke control at cockpit for security, proper operation

__ Check choke control at engine for security, proper operation

c.) Engine Lubrication System

__ Check injection oil tank for security, oil level; vented filler cap, gasket seal, presence of water or debris

__ Check injection oil lines for security of hose clamps, chafe protection, clear of hazards

__ Check and clean or replace injection oil line filter

__ Check rotary valve oil tank for security, oil level, presence of water or debris

__ Check rotary valve oil lines for security of hose clamps, chafe protection, clear of hazards

d.) Engine Cooling System

__ Check coolant level and security of filler cap

__ Check all lines and fittings for leakage, security and chafing

__ Check water pump impeller housing for leaks

__ Check radiator for attachment security

__ Check radiator cooling fins for damage, clean fins

__ Check coolant overflow tank for security, sediment

__ Check coolant lines and hoses for leaks, security of hose clamps, chafe protection, clear of hazards

__ Flush and fill coolant every five years (use only Long-Life silica free anti-freeze - 50% anti-freeze / 50% distilled water)

e.) Engine Induction System

__ Check carburetors, attaching boots and throttle cable adjustment grommets for cracks, leakage, security

__ Check carburetor float bowls for security, clean

__ Check carburetor float bowls for atmospheric pressure hose obstructions, security

__ Check carburetor air filter, clean and re-oil air filter as required

__ Check carburetor air filter for security, safety wire

f.) Engine Ignition System

__ Check ignition / magneto switch for security, wiring, operation

__ Check spark plugs for condition, gap, torque, security of leads

__ Check all associated ignition wires firewall forward for security, routing, chafe protection, clear of hazards

g.) Engine Exhaust System

__ Check exhaust manifold flange nuts at engine for security

__ Check exhaust manifold gaskets for leaks, visible blow-by (replace; torque to 195 inch lbs, re-torque on cool engine after 1hr and 10hrs)

__ Check muffler attachment brackets for security

__ Check muffler clearance to firewall

__ Check for exhaust spring fatigue at elbows, silicone and safety wire springs

__ Check and lubricate exhaust elbow joints with high-temp nickel anti-seize compound

h.) Engine Electrical System

__ Check starter motor power cable connection for security, routing, chafe protection, clear of hazards

__ Check all wiring that passes through firewall for security, routing, chafe protection, clear of hazards

__ Check engine ground cable for security (both ends)

__ Check engine TACH, EGT and CHT instrumentation wiring for security, routing, chafe protection, clear of hazards

i.) Fuel System

__ Check wing tank fuel cap for open vent, cap gasket seal

__ Check wing tank quick drain fitting for security, operation

__ Check wing tank outlet fitting for security, finger strainers for debris

__ Check wing tank fuel gauge fitting for security, leaks

__ Check fuel line from wing tank to aux fuel shutoff valve for attachment, security, hose clamps, blockage

__ Check aux fuel shutoff valve for attachment, security, operation, proper markings

__ Check routing of fuel line from aux fuel shutoff valve to main fuel shutoff valve for slope, hose clamps, chafe protection

__ Check inline aux fuel line filter (if any) for security, clean

__ Check main fuel shutoff / selector valve for attachment, security, operation, inlet hose clamps, proper markings

__ Check routing of fuel line from main fuel shutoff valve to gascolator for security of fittings, hose clamps, chafe protection

__ Check gascolator for security, gasket integrity, quick drain operation, clean screen and bowl, safety wire

__ Check routing of fuel line from gascolator to fuel pump for security of hose clamps, chafe protection, clear of hazards

__ Check fuel pump for security, fuel leaks, vacuum leaks

__ Check routing of vacuum line from fuel pump to engine for security of hose clamps, chafe protection, clear of hazards

__ Check routing of fuel line from fuel pump to carburetors for security of hose clamps, chafe protection, clear of hazards

__ Check fire sleeve on all firewall forward fuel lines for security, clear of hazards

__ Check primer for security, leaks

__ Check routing of primer line from primer to firewall for security of fittings, hose clamps, chafe protection

__ Check routing of primer line from firewall to carburetors for security of hose clamps, chafe protection, clear of hazards

j.) Gearbox

__ Check for excessive endplay

__ Check oil level in gearbox, safety wire

__ Drain and replace oil if necessary, check magnetic drain plug for metal particles, safety wire

k.) Engine cowling

__ Install cowling and check for adequate clearance with exhaust system

__ Check cowlings for fit, fasteners, cracks, water leaks, security

Posted

Rotax has the engine checklist to go over. It tells you what checks they suggest at what intervals. As the plane is an experimental, you can do what you want to with it. Must check items include the fuel system on the engine, hoses etc, rotary valve oil hoses coolant hoses etc. Check seals make sure none are leaking, compression check... Anyone running a 2 stroke should have a compression gauge. Mine is in the tool bag I carry in the plane at all times. I will see if I can dig up the form I used at my last condition inspection. I know there are several of them under the files tab on the yahoo avid list. Some items do not pertain to us 2 stroke guys so I suggest you remove those from the list and modify it to fit your own plane. If you have a blank spot, the A&P is gonna spend time checking to see if he can figure out how to fill that blank.

I will post mine up as soon as I get a chance to dig it up :lol:

:BC:

Posted

damn, it was easier to find than I thought :lol: must be getting organized in my old age..

Tweak it to fit your plane, but it gives you a good format to start with.

Avid Aircraft Conditional Inspection.doc

Posted

Thanks guys my title was a bit misleading. The A&P I use uses the FAA checklist. I use my own checklist as well for my own inspection. It sucks I was not able to be the builder of my airplane. I'm basically paying this guy for a logbook signoff. It's always good to have a fresh set of eyes look things over also. My main question was for the engine. Last year he basically visually inspected it and after figuring out he had no compression tester he just had me run it and do a mag check. I bought a nice compression tester today so I'll put fresh plugs in it and compression test it. Will report back if I find anything unusual..hopefully we don't I flew it 35 hours in the past month :buttrock:

Posted

Conditional went smoothly this morning. We were done by noon. 3 hours and $300...not too bad especially considering he came right to my hangar. He didn't find anything he didn't like. My advice when working with other folks on your plane is to have an answer for everything. Many times a check mark can be marked off just by an intelligible answer to a question. For example...what kind of coolant are you running and when was it last changed? I think it was pretty obvious I am very familiar and knowledgeable on my airplane. That goes a long ways when someone is putting their neck on the line signing off your logbook. Compression was 120 PSI exactly on both cylinders. CPS part 47 says 100-120 is normal with less than 10% differential between cylinders.

Some other things to think about on your conditional are filters, plugs, gearbox oil, gascolator screen, and elevator pushrod grease.

After the inspection I buttoned everything back up and went flying. We had really steady winds at 14 knots straight down the runway. I only had 5 gallons of fuel on board. I put on 15 degrees of flaps and nailed the throttle the tail came up instantly and I was airborn in about 50ft. I flew the pattern and did a stop and go. On the go I went to full power while holding the brakes and I was able to raise the tail without moving. I released the brakes and it just took off..roll was about 10ft wish I could of got it on film. I was laughing all the way around the pattern. For my full stop I stuck it in the grass between the runway and taxiway. The last time I glanced at my GPS groundspeed was 28mph. I braked hard and stopped in real short order. Gotta love these birds especially when your super light in a nice steady predictable wind like that.