Hello from Utah

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Well hello everyone. Jeff here from the great state of Utah . I've been lurking around for some time, doing my best to absorb as much of the wealth of information here as possible. Now that I've signed the paperwork and bill of sale on my new Avid flyer project over the weekend I decided I should sign up and start  an account . Should be delivered sometime this week and I'm super excited. I say project because it's been deregistered (that's going to be fun) for a few years and needs  upgrades like, a transponder, probably a better radio, adjusting the seat so my 6'2 frame can fit, reorganizing the panel, bubble doors, and probably the biggest project removing the 1912 Volkswagen and throwing hopefully hey Yamaha Apex out front. I need some more horsepower for this altitude. Hopefully the little fella can handle it. I believe I'm dealing with an Avid Flyer model A. It's serial number 146. Since this is the introduction I'll be posting all of my questions on other threats. Thanks in advance.

2 people like this

Posted

:welcome:

If it is an A model you have a lower gross on it and it would best serve you to keep it LIGHT!  I would be more tempted to throw a 503 on it than a yammy if you want to be able to fly with more than half tanks.  

:BC:

Posted

Where in Utah? I'm out in Tooele and have a KF1 which is essentially the same airplane as far as i know. If you're close it would be interesting to see your project.

Posted

Welcome Jeff.   Glad you have joined our group.  One thing with the paperwork to the FAA, is they will want a complete chain of ownership from when it was last registered.  If you have that it can be done without to much trouble.  I went through that last summer on a Kitfox 3.  I agree with Leni that the Yamaha may be to much engine for the A model.  Although I would maybe lean in the direction of a 582 for a bit more power then the 503.  A friend of mine had an A model with a 55 hp Hirth. and  I had to throttle back to stay with him with my 582 powered Avid.  One other thing is the lighter you can keep the plane, the better it will perform.  There is an old saying that says if you want to put something extra into your plane, hold it up in the air.  Let it go and if it hits the floor, don't put it in.   Weight is a killer of performance, especially if you are on the low side of power to start with.   JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

Where in Utah? I'm out in Tooele and have a KF1 which is essentially the same airplane as far as i know. If you're close it would be interesting to see your project.

I'm in SLC.  do you have your plane do you have your plane do you have your plane at the Tooele do you have your plane at the Tooele Airport? I briefly looked I briefly looked into building a I briefly looked into building a hanger over there. I briefly looked into building a hanger over there.

Posted

Welcome Jeff.   Glad you have joined our group.  One thing with the paperwork to the FAA, is they will want a complete chain of ownership from when it was last registered.  If you have that it can be done without to much trouble.  I went through that last summer on a Kitfox 3.  I agree with Leni that the Yamaha may be to much engine for the A model.  Although I would maybe lean in the direction of a 582 for a bit more power then the 503.  A friend of mine had an A model with a 55 hp Hirth. and  I had to throttle back to stay with him with my 582 powered Avid.  One other thing is the lighter you can keep the plane, the better it will perform.  There is an old saying that says if you want to put something extra into your plane, hold it up in the air.  Let it go and if it hits the floor, don't put it in.   Weight is a killer of performance, especially if you are on the low side of power to start with.   JImChuk

I've been thinking the Yamaha I've been thinking the Yamaha might be a little too heavy. I've been thinking the Yamaha might be a little too heavy. Wondering how this Volkswagen is going to perform its supposed to have 80 horse. Although I'm sure it's nice and heavy. I've definitely been thinking about keeping everything as light as possible. If it's not needed it's not going in. I'm sure it doesn't help that the "pilot" is 230-235lbs. 

Posted

I'm in SLC.  do you have your plane do you have your plane do you have your plane at the Tooele do you have your plane at the Tooele Airport? I briefly looked I briefly looked into building a I briefly looked into building a hanger over there. I briefly looked into building a hanger over there.

I live in Stockton and my plane is a project in my garage at present. The county really gave the airport the shaft a decade or 2 ago, you might have heard some of that story if you were considering building a hangar there. Now that it's become an alternate for Salt Lake international I bet it'll be even more onerous to operate or at least base your aircraft there. 

Are you a member of the local EAA chapter? Pretty neat bunch of guys that've been helpful to me. A lot of us meet at Apollo Burger in North Salt Lake every Saturday at 11:30 for lunch. The monthly chapter meeting is this Friday at the Civil Air Patrol hangar if you're interested.

Posted

I've heard some people who stutter, but never seen anyone who typed stuttering.  :-)  Just kidding, something must be doubling up your words as you type.  Few if any have been satisfied with a VW in an Avid or Kitfox.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I've heard some people who stutter, but never seen anyone who typed stuttering.  

I only have access to the internet on my phone so i don't know if it's limited to the mobile version but it frequently does that to me as well. I just fix it(usually) before i post.

Posted

I live in Stockton and my plane is a project in my garage at present. The county really gave the airport the shaft a decade or 2 ago, you might have heard some of that story if you were considering building a hangar there. Now that it's become an alternate for Salt Lake international I bet it'll be even more onerous to operate or at least base your aircraft there. 

Are you a member of the local EAA chapter? Pretty neat bunch of guys that've been helpful to me. A lot of us meet at Apollo Burger in North Salt Lake every Saturday at 11:30 for lunch. The monthly chapter meeting is this Friday at the Civil Air Patrol hangar if you're interested

No  I didn't hear anything about that. I just had a brief conversation with the manager about tie down fees.  Seemed pretty inexpensive compared to all the other airports around. I'm on the Facebook page but not a member yet. I work Saturdays but I think I might take one or two off to go visit and meet some people. You're more than welcome to come check out my project as soon as it's in my driveway.

Posted

Apparently my phone is having a conniption fit. And posting everything two and three times. Sorry about that LOL

1 person likes this

Posted

I've heard some people who stutter, but never seen anyone who typed stuttering.  :-)  Just kidding, something must be doubling up your words as you type.  Few if any have been satisfied with a VW in an Avid or Kitfox.  JImChuk

Haha yeah I'm trying to multitask and  not necessarily proofreading. I've heard that about the Volkswagen and it's not and it's not very and it's not very encouraging. But but but I'll but I'll figure it out. 

Posted

I've heard some people who stutter, but never seen anyone who typed stuttering.  

I only have access to the internet on my phone so i don't know if it's limited to the mobile version but it frequently does that to me as well. I just fix it(usually) before i post.

I wasn't really paying attention until now LOL  I'll definitely take a look before pushing send from here on out. 

Posted (edited)

Doubleclutch,

Welcome to the Club!! 

I agree about the power. I am in Parowan at 6000 feet, and my Avid Flyer MKIV calls for even more than the 582 (my MGW is 1150 lbs). For about 10 pounds more than the 582 you get 91 HP in a 670, and the plane becomes a really nice performer. I pulled my 582 and installed a Rotax Rick 670, which was a drop in on the 582 mount (all of which you'll have to fab with an A model.). 

IMG_0636.JPG

Edited by nlappos
1 person likes this

Posted

Doubleclutch,

Welcome to the Club!! 

I agree about the power. I am in Parowan at 6000 feet, and my Avid Flyer MKIV calls for even more than the 582 (my MGW is 1150 lbs). For about 10 pounds more than the 582 you get 91 HP in a 670, and the plane becomes a really nice performer. I pulled my 582 and installed a Rotax Rick 670, which was a drop in on the 582 mount (all of which you'll have to fab with an A model.). 

IMG_0636.JPG

I've been wondering about the Rotax Rick engines. Look at them a look at them a few times  but the reviews have been kind of mixed. Great information. Thanks.  I'm completely naive with a lot of this (or all if this) would a 582 engine mount bolt directly to my fire wall? 

Posted

A model Avid had a welded in motor mount originally.  If you have a VW on there now, no telling what it's like.  Suggest you get some pictures of the firewall.  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

Hey Doubleclutch,

Welcome, you have landed at the right place, people are awesome and usually there will be a solution for a given problem.

I have always wondered about the BMW1200 engine conversion....anyone tried that?? Parts are cheap and engine (110Hp) is reliable

R_1200_GS_-_4.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Doubleclutch,

Welcome, you have landed at the right place, people are awesome and usually there will be a solution for a given problem.

I have always wondered about the BMW1200 engine conversion....anyone tried that?? Parts are cheap and engine (110Hp) is reliable

R_1200_GS_-_4.jpg

Thanks Flywise,  I'm  excited for this new adventure.  Willja76 is working on putting one on a KF1. 

Posted

Hi all - leaving tomorrow night to travel to Bend, OR to pick up a Model 1. If anyone has an inspection sheet or some useful advice to inspecting the plane I'd appreciate it! There are (supposedly) two engine that come with it. One is the original rotax 532 and a rotax 582 purchased to replace it with. Has always been hangered and looks good. Some MODS either done or almost completed. What I need most is knowing where the trouble areas are that need close attention. I will be passing thru Nampa, Id and wonder if the factory is receptive to inspecting it for me??? Have an enclosed 20ft trailer and figure I need to remove the wings and mount them on the walls for transport. 

Any useful info would be greatly appreciated. Plan to arrive in Bend May 5th (approx). I will be tracking this thread to read the replies. 

Thanks, Gary