Dash redo and organize

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi, so I'm picking up my Avid A probably this weekend.  I definitely want to redo the dash. In my opinion it's way too cluttered and messy and distracting. It has Provisions for a portable radio but I would like to put a small Becker or something like that in the dash itself. I also need a transponder. I have an idea what I want to do but it is so tiny some pictures would be nice. If any of you guys have a similar playing with the small Dash I'd love to see what you did.

IMG951011.jpg

Edited by Doublecluch

Posted

Wow!  there are a lot of gauges there.  Usually the A model had an 8 or 9 gallon header tank and the panel was about a foot wide and sat in a notch of the fuel tank.  I guess I would redo it completely and use some thing like the MGL E 1 engine monitor to replace most of the gauges you have with one 3 1/8" gauge.  JImChuk

www.mglavionics.com/e1.pdf

Posted

Wow!  there are a lot of gauges there.  Usually the A model had an 8 or 9 gallon header tank and the panel was about a foot wide and sat in a notch of the fuel tank.  I guess I would redo it completely and use some thing like the MGL E 1 engine monitor to replace most of the gauges you have with one 3 1/8" gauge.  JImChuk

www.mglavionics.com/e1.pdf

I was thinking the same thing. Apparently mine was never built with the header tank.  for some reason he put he put a 15 gallon tank under the fuselage. 

IMG951020.jpg

Posted (edited)

Drag is a myth!

Seriously, though, how about two flat screens: one is an efis with flt parameters and engine info, second is gps.  The second can be as simple as a tablet, as many have the gps chip built-in.

Edited by Turbo
2 people like this

Posted

That fuel tank is a different sort of alternative. Other than more room for more gauges, not sure why anyone would do away with the dash tank for that setup though... maybe the gas in your lap fear. I liked that it was E-proof poly.

Did you redo yet? Post a pic of the new panel if yes.

If not, here are my panel pics for ideas. On the last, I couldn't bear to cut a big hole for a panel dock so I was rigging a homebrew mount to hold a iFly720 or iPad.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 people like this

Posted

Just some pics I have gathered. The second photo is mine. 

post-352-0-19928200-1400512651_thumb.jpg

Avidpanel2b.jpg

32.jpg

post-36-13032590545306.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

These are all great. Thanks for the inspiration guys. I ended up finding an original dash tank. So the big one will be coming out and minimal gauges going into the small panel in the center.. maybe a small tablet with flanking gauges. 

Posted

IMG_7920.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

These are all great. Thanks for the inspiration guys. I ended up finding an original dash tank. So the big one will be coming out and minimal gauges going into the small panel in the center.. maybe a small tablet with flanking gauges. 

I still have my old KF3 panel that fits the KF dash tank (shown above). Not sure if the mount locations on the Avid dash tank are the same for true plug n play. It is pre wired for Rotax 582 if interested in making an offer.

1 person likes this

Posted

I still have my old KF3 panel that fits the KF dash tank (shown above). Not sure if the mount locations on the Avid dash tank are the same for true plug n play. It is pre wired for Rotax 582 if interested in making an offer.

I'll have to look and see the size of my opening in my tank. I'm going to have to fabricate mounts anyways so never know..

Posted

The KF dash tank has (4) captive nut sockets molded directly into the poly tank. Bolts goes thru the rubber vibration mounts in the panel into the tank nut sockets. Is that the same as Avid?

Posted

This is a top view from the back side. The tape is where the filler neck goes. I have a kitfox dash tank that is nothing like this one. But this will fit. Haven't been able to look at the front but if I remember correctly there aren't any built in rubber mounts. 

20190813_195112.jpg

Posted

The Avid tank has two imbedded threads in the bottom front of the panel, and two more on the top of the tank.  JImChuk