Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

rotax 582 not geting spark

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I rececntly aquired an avid c ,just thought id pull the plugs out and chek.some oil came out but not even new plugs will fire. theres no battery in the plane which i asume is ok since there is no lights .mag switches seem fine and all wireing ok. it hs sat up a while .

Posted

I rececntly aquired an avid c ,just thought id pull the plugs out and chek.some oil came out but not even new plugs will fire. theres no battery in the plane which i asume is ok since there is no lights .mag switches seem fine and all wireing ok. it hs sat up a while .

Try it with mag switches both ways. I assume you are using a pull start.. it has to hit 250+ RPM to fire so you have to rip it over good. I had a buddy that fought the same issue.. turn out he had the mag switch wired backwards so "on" was really "off"

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Try unplugging the connector coming from the coils/charging system there could be chaffed wires grounding out the CDI's. Careful though don't fire it up without the plugs grounded to the engine somehow you can blow the CDI that way. If you have a multimeter maybe you should just check the CDI grounding wires in that plug first to see if they are shorted to the frame or open, safer that way. If that doesn't work then you probably need to get some of the rotax manuals to OHM check the CDI and the coils, they are easy to find online. Look up (ultralightnews.com) lots of helpful rotax stuff there.

Edited by racegunz

Posted

Try unplugging the connector coming from the coils/charging system there could be chaffed wires grounding out the CDI's. Careful though don't fire it up without the plugs grounded to the engine somehow you can blow the CDI that way. If you have a multimeter maybe you should just check the CDI grounding wires in that plug first to see if they are shorted to the frame or open, safer that way. If that doesn't work then you probably need to get some of the rotax manuals to OHM check the CDI and the coils, they are easy to find online. Look up (ultralightnews.com) lots of helpful rotax stuff there.

or you can go to the here on this site and get the rotax repair manual I posted :lol:

Repair manual

Posted

Do you have primer or mixture enricheners? I cant see someone putting a 582 in the avid without electric start, but hey, stranger things have been done...

If you have a primer, give it a couple shots, if you have enricheners the throttle has to be set to idle for them to work. If you add throttle you will bypass the enrichener circuit and and it wont do you any good.

Did you verify that you have no spark, or just because it is not firing you are assuming no spark?

Posted

Do you have primer or mixture enricheners? I cant see someone putting a 582 in the avid without electric start, but hey, stranger things have been done...

If you have a primer, give it a couple shots, if you have enricheners the throttle has to be set to idle for them to work. If you add throttle you will bypass the enrichener circuit and and it wont do you any good.

Did you verify that you have no spark, or just because it is not firing you are assuming no spark?

not trying to start it yet i was just checking and with the switch both ways. I think the rpm idea might be the problem ill pull harder. thanks guys.

Posted

Try it with mag switches both ways. I assume you are using a pull start.. it has to hit 250+ RPM to fire so you have to rip it over good. I had a buddy that fought the same issue.. turn out he had the mag switch wired backwards so "on" was really "off"

yep your so right pull rope hard make fire. thank you

Posted

yep your so right pull rope hard make fire. thank you

Thats what we are here for! Glad it was something that easy for you! I hate not knowing, and spending time trying to fix something that is not broken, and electrical issues can be a nightmare especially if it is intermittent!

By the way, welcome aboard the fun avid/kitfox site! We try to stay on track here, but sometimes the fun gets in the way and we cut up a bit.. That is always welcome here!