Looking for Transponder advice

13 posts in this topic

Posted

So I am completely confused. Well maybe not completely. My new Avid doesn't have a transponder. Does have an elt way back in the back of the fuselage but I haven't had it checked out yet. Technically I don't even have the plane yet, It's waiting for my trailer in Las Vegas. I've been all over eBay looking for a complete transponder set up and I'm lost. Clearly, I need the transponder,  tray, antenna, and encoder. There is a Garmin for sale that is complete from antenna to transponder for $399 It's Tso'd. I'd rather not waste $400 on something that's no good for me.

Posted

It's only going to be legal for another 10 months until 2020 then to operate within 30 nm of SLC Int'l you'll need an ADSB transponder. If you stay low enough and outside of class B and C airspace (a generalization) you won't need a transponder. I don't have one in my plane and don't plan on it. Just money I don't want to spend and weight i don't want to carry.

1 person likes this

Posted

It's only going to be legal for another 10 months until 2020 then to operate within 30 nm of SLC Int'l you'll need an ADSB transponder. If you stay low enough and outside of class B and C airspace (a generalization) you won't need a transponder. I don't have one in my plane and don't plan on it. Just money I don't want to spend and weight i don't want to carry.

That's that's pretty much what I was confused about thank you. I'd much rather spend that money on a radio..

P. S.  Thought about making it to lunch yesterday at Apollo Burger but got busy. I'll make one soon. 

Posted

I’ve never had one in my plane. My new plane has one and I’ve only turned it on a handful of times. 

2 people like this

Posted

If I need a transponder I have wandered into an area I don't wanna be with my lil bird.  I will stick to the fun stuff with mine.  

:BC:

Posted

Haha thanks guys. I'll be spending the money on a small in panel radio or an MGL engine monitor. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Haha thanks guys. I'll be spending the money on a small in panel radio or an MGL engine monitor. 

Double, just be sure that you understand, you cannot fly within 30nm of any Class B airspace like SLC without a Mode c transponder (see the red circle on the sectional piece below) , and after July 2020, you can't enter any class C airspace or Class B airspace without ADS-B out capability. Stay tuned we are all in the same boat. I installed an old EDO mode c transponder from Ebay with an encoder and am reasonably compliant today.

sectional.jpg

Classes-of-Airspace.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Without mode-C you can go under the shelf of Charlie airspace, but for Bravo airspace, won't the mode-C veil contine, but with adds-B (after July, 2020)?  And oh yes, overflight of Charley airspace will require adds-B after the change; it requires mode-C now.  

Edited by Turbo

Posted

Gonna have to spend some money so I can put around with my model 1 in Class A :rolleyes:

1 person likes this

Posted

ADS-B out will be required anywhere a transponder is required now as well as a few places yet to be determined. the mode C veil around many class B airspaces (18 I believe) will require ads b out from surface up. Mode C is listed on sectionals. You will be able to fly UNDER charlie and any Bravo that does not have a mode c veil.Outsidew of this you will be ok without a transponder or ads b

1 person likes this

Posted

TJay, to fly in class A it's worse!  Oxygen, adds-b out, and ya gotta be on an IFR flight plan!  But you was just joshin' us, eh?

Posted

TJay, to fly in class A it's worse!  Oxygen, adds-b out, and ya gotta be on an IFR flight plan!  But you was just joshin' us, eh?

I don't think these guys had an IFR flight plan or an adds-out but there's always an exception to the rule. For one thing, they are not in the United States. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiv4XJ17_7Q