Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

this old plane

32 posts in this topic

Posted

I asked about wingrib/flaperon attachmet. I have the part,s on order. I got spark ,and now im redoing the fuel lines. One of the mikunies is missing the little brass couple with the little hole in it. I think this lean,s it at high altitude. any way is this an easy part to get or easier to make.Im just getting started and im sure I will have lots more questions for THIS OLD PLANE. thanks for all your help,you guy,s are better than CAR-TALK.

Posted

I asked about wingrib/flaperon attachmet. I have the part,s on order. I got spark ,and now im redoing the fuel lines. One of the mikunies is missing the little brass couple with the little hole in it. I think this lean,s it at high altitude. any way is this an easy part to get or easier to make.Im just getting started and im sure I will have lots more questions for THIS OLD PLANE. thanks for all your help,you guy,s are better than CAR-TALK.

Is there anyway you could post a picture of what your missing from the other carb? Nothing should lean it at altitude, unless you have a HACMAN or something of that sort. If you have Mikunies, you may be running a snogo engine. The 582 came with Bings.

:BC:

Posted

Is there anyway you could post a picture of what your missing from the other carb? Nothing should lean it at altitude, unless you have a HACMAN or something of that sort. If you have Mikunies, you may be running a snogo engine. The 582 came with Bings.

Posted

Just checked you right there bings . the small hose come,s from one side of the carb to the the other just above float bowl.

Posted

Just checked you right there bings . the small hose come,s from one side of the carb to the the other just above float bowl.

I thought that is what you were talking about but wanted to make sure.. Easy easy fix and us dont need brass! Just use a piece of safety wire and heat it up and burn a hole in the tubing side to side and top to bottom in the center of the tubing. It just help to equalize the pressure in the float bowl. This is what the rotax repair manual shows to do. When I get back to my other computer I will see if I can find a good shot of what I am talking about.

Posted

I thought that is what you were talking about but wanted to make sure.. Easy easy fix and us dont need brass! Just use a piece of safety wire and heat it up and burn a hole in the tubing side to side and top to bottom in the center of the tubing. It just help to equalize the pressure in the float bowl. This is what the rotax repair manual shows to do. When I get back to my other computer I will see if I can find a good shot of what I am talking about.

I was looking in the manual I downloaded {thank,s] and they show a newer hose without the coupler, and hole,s like your talking about.

Posted

Just got my wing rib extensions today. Cant wait to start cuting out the old ones.Flying to tenn. this weekend in a 172 I,ll be thinking about them damn rib,s there and back .

Posted

Just got my wing rib extensions today. Cant wait to start cuting out the old ones.Flying to tenn. this weekend in a 172 I,ll be thinking about them damn rib,s there and back .

Do you have any time in an Avid or Kitfox? If not, the first time you fly one, you will be throwing rocks at that 172. I like flying all planes, but the avids or kitfoxes are really just that much more fun to fly!

Posted

Do you have any time in an Avid or Kitfox? If not, the first time you fly one, you will be throwing rocks at that 172. I like flying all planes, but the avids or kitfoxes are really just that much more fun to fly!

I have 0 time in avid or tail dragger endorsment. I know plenty of CFI,s so that wont be a problem. I also have a freind with an avid, I plan on going up with him for a check out. Any advice ?

Posted

I have 0 time in avid or tail dragger endorsment. I know plenty of CFI,s so that wont be a problem. I also have a freind with an avid, I plan on going up with him for a check out. Any advice ?

Learn how to actually use your feet!! :stirthepot: There is absolutely no comparing an Avid to a 172. So much better performance so much more responsive, so much funner!!

Posted

I was coming off a fresh tail wheel endorsement (in a Citabria) when I got my Kitfox IV.

I got transition training from a friend of mine who built a Kitfox IV and is a CFI. We spent nearly 10 hours of transition training in order for me to feel proficient in the plane. Some have done with less and some more. My insurance required 10 hours of duel and I needed nearly that.

These little planes are a ton of fun and are not dangerous if you know what you are doing and what to expect. They do NOT fly like a 172 or a Citabria or a Cub. I've been told they handle more like a Pits (but I've never flown a Pits). I would not advise getting your tailwheel then jumping into a plane like this without a little more training from someone who knows how to teach.

Just my opinion.

Posted

I was coming off a fresh tail wheel endorsement (in a Citabria) when I got my Kitfox IV.

I got transition training from a friend of mine who built a Kitfox IV and is a CFI. We spent nearly 10 hours of transition training in order for me to feel proficient in the plane. Some have done with less and some more. My insurance required 10 hours of duel and I needed nearly that.

These little planes are a ton of fun and are not dangerous if you know what you are doing and what to expect. They do NOT fly like a 172 or a Citabria or a Cub. I've been told they handle more like a Pits (but I've never flown a Pits). I would not advise getting your tailwheel then jumping into a plane like this without a little more training from someone who knows how to teach.

Just my opinion.

Thank,s guy,s. I,ll do that. I am a little unclear on who can give instruction. cant the seller do that, a CFI told me he couldnt do it in experementel. I canceled the tennessee trip due to weather so I got the old rib peices out . I,m getting ready to epoxy the new ones in any advice ?

Posted

Thank,s guy,s. I,ll do that. I am a little unclear on who can give instruction. cant the seller do that, a CFI told me he couldnt do it in experementel. I canceled the tennessee trip due to weather so I got the old rib peices out . I,m getting ready to epoxy the new ones in any advice ?

When you replace the rib tails, hang the flaperon on your wing, and use it for a guide in getting the new rib tails lined up. I did not do that on my first wing. I pulled measurements 100 ways from sunday and was sure I had it right.. but then had to get creative when it was time to hang the flaperon on it. The second wing, I hung the flaperon and used it as a guide to line up the rib tails with lots of clamps and aluminum agle for a straight edge to lock everything in tight while glue cured. I used gorrila glue to put the cap strips on, and the structural epoxy to glue it to the spar. I ran several tests with some spare rib tails and cap strips I had and the gorrila glue held the best and did the most damage to the wood when I pulled it to failure.

The CFI can give instruction, he just need X time as PIC in your plane before he can instruct. I think it is 5 hrs but I could be wrong. I went through this on mine 2 yrs ago. If the seller is a CFI, he had give you official "instruction" if he is just a PPL then he can take you for a ride, let you control the plane and give you an "un-official" check out, but it wont be worth anything for insurance or a tail wheel endorsement.

Posted

When Hang the flaperon on your wing, and use it for a guide in getting the new rib tails lined up. I did not do that on my first wing. I pulled measurements 100 ways from sunday and was sure I had it right.. but then had to get creative when it was time to hang teh flaperon on it. The second wing, I hung the flaperon and used it as a guide to line up the rib tails with lots of clamps and aluminum agle for a straight edge to lock everything in tight while glue cured. I used gorrila glue to put the cap strips on, and the structural epoxy to glue it to the spar. I ran several tests with some spare rib tails and cap strips I had and the gorrila glue held the best and did the most damage to the wood when I pulled it to failure.

The CFI can give instruction, he just need X time as PIC in your plane before he can instruct. I think it is 5 hrs but I could be wrong. I went through this on mine 2 yrs ago. If the seller is a CFI, he had give you official "instruction" if he is just a PPL then he can take you for a ride, let you control the plane and give you an "un-official" check out, but it wont be worth anything for insurance or a tail wheel endorcement.

That sound,s like good advice, the damn thing,s laying right there why not use it for a jig. Nex I,ll be asking about fabric stuff. But I,ll order the book first to keep the dumb questions to a min.

Posted

That sound,s like good advice, the damn thing,s laying right there why not use it for a jig. Nex I,ll be asking about fabric stuff. But I,ll order the book first to keep the dumb questions to a min.

I got 10 hours dual in a champ in a formal school and got my endorsement. I had not flown a tail dragger in 2 years before my first flight in the Avid. I spent 10 hours on the hobbs taxiing it and then did a short hop in ground effect before I was satisfied. The next day I woke my family up at 430am and said lets go were headed to the airport. My 10 mos pregnant wife and my 10 year old step son were there. I did a mag check and poured the coals to it. I was amazed at how nice an Avid flies. I felt comfortable in the first 30 seconds.

First flight Sept 19th, 2009

Posted (edited)

I got 10 hours dual in a champ in a formal school and got my endorsement. I had not flown a tail dragger in 2 years before my first flight in the Avid. I spent 10 hours on the hobbs taxiing it and then did a short hop in ground effect before I was satisfied. The next day I woke my family up at 430am and said lets go were headed to the airport. My 10 mos pregnant wife and my 10 year old step son were there. I did a mag check and poured the coals to it. I was amazed at how nice an Avid flies. I felt comfortable in the first 30 seconds.

Joey, I'd consider this the last possible option for a novice. Personally, I would not recommend this route to anyone who is not intimately familiar with such a yaw sensitive airplane. I think you may underestimate your own education and experience in aviation prior to your doing this...

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Well, I got the outer rib epoxied in, to support the flaperor/jig. Did two night,s ago . Getting ready to put the last two in tonight. A friend let me borrow a fabric tester, I got 12# easy everywhere.

Posted

Well, I got the outer rib epoxied in, to support the flaperor/jig. Did two night,s ago . Getting ready to put the last two in tonight. A friend let me borrow a fabric tester, I got 12# easy everywhere.

What's the significance of 12 lbs? The supercub guys look for 40-50lbs when testing fabric with a Maule Tester. AC 43-13 covers the FAA approved test procedure.

Posted

What's the significance of 12 lbs? The supercub guys look for 40-50lbs when testing fabric with a Maule Tester. AC 43-13 covers the FAA approved test procedure.

I will look it up the instruction,s said 10-12#

post-185-12857225765456_thumb.jpg

post-185-12857226109212_thumb.jpg

Posted

I will look it up the instruction,s said 10-12#

Ididn,t realize these pix,s would load up like this.

post-185-12857539250203_thumb.jpg

post-185-12857539747586_thumb.jpg

post-185-1285754022942_thumb.jpg

Posted

I doubt the cub guys are running the ultralight fabric.. We use medium and heavy when building the cubs, and the mauls are go fast machines that have the heavier fabric also.

\

Posted

I doubt the cub guys are running the ultralight fabric.. We use medium and heavy when building the cubs, and the mauls are go fast machines that have the heavier fabric also.

\

I just ordered a how-to book for polyfiber and a practice kit along with inspection plate stuff, my plane doesn,t have any. Is that normal ? [the inspection plate,s that is] I cut my fabric right up the center of the two outer rib-end,s I replaced. Will this go back together ok with some creative sewing and taping ?

Posted

I just ordered a how-to book for polyfiber and a practice kit along with inspection plate stuff, my plane doesn,t have any. Is that normal ? [the inspection plate,s that is] I cut my fabric right up the center of the two outer rib-end,s I replaced. Will this go back together ok with some creative sewing and taping ?

You also need to go by the Avid directions. You cant shrink the fabric as tight as polyfiber tells you to or it will pull away from the underside of the ribs and really pull your trailing edge in. I think the MAX I went was 275. I would not go up the center. You will need to cut it on the inside of the rib on each panel so the old covering has the full 1" bonded to the cap strip. You can lay the new fabric over to the outside of the rib so it fully covers the cap strip also. Then use 4" wide tape for the seam on each side and your golden. No need to do any sewing.

Posted

You also need to go by the Avid directions. You cant shrink the fabric as tight as polyfiber tells you to or it will pull away from the underside of the ribs and really pull your trailing edge in. I think the MAX I went was 275. I would not go up the center. You will need to cut it on the inside of the rib on each panel so the old covering has the full 1" bonded to the cap strip. You can lay the new fabric over to the outside of the rib so it fully covers the cap strip also. Then use 4" wide tape for the seam on each side and your golden. No need to do any sewing.

I also have a rib on the other wing bottom side where the fabric has detached from the rib. Is there any wy to get in there and reglue it ?

Posted

I also have a rib on the other wing bottom side where the fabric has detached from the rib. Is there any wy to get in there and reglue it ?

Thank you for the info, how can I get the avid directions ?