Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

this old plane

32 posts in this topic

Posted

Ok I guess that lst question was a dumb one. I got my polyfiber how-to book in the mail today. Lot,s of good stuff in there. I also got the practice kit two play with.

Posted

Is this how a topic end,s. You ask one too many dumb question,s and it,s all over ?

Posted

Sorry, man. I missed the question and had to go back to find it.

How far away from the rib has the fabric pulled, just a small span of the under-camber or quite a bit? I heard of people re-gluing using an equine hypodermic needle with glue in it to put the glue under the fabric. This is most likely just a bandaid fix, though.

Posted

Sorry, man. I missed the question and had to go back to find it.

How far away from the rib has the fabric pulled, just a small span of the under-camber or quite a bit? I heard of people re-gluing using an equine hypodermic needle with glue in it to put the glue under the fabric. This is most likely just a bandaid fix, though.

It is the under side. It,s the right wing every thing is tight,except the outter two ribs. One is totaly detached and the other just half way glued.

The left wing the one I have open I can get to everything. I noticed four of my inner ribes are laced no other,s on the plane are, and it,s different tape over the stiching. Im wondering if this was a datached fabric repair with stiching. Can that be done ?

Posted

Larry hit the nail on the head with the word bandaid. I went through this same dilemma two years ago. I finally ended up spending nearly 4K and 5 mos to have a fabric guru teach me how to recover my wings. The fabric was one issue but seeing a few things once the wings were uncovered was a totally another issue. We spent a month just fixing stuff the original builder could of done better before we even started recovering. The piece of mind especially for the way I fly my bird was priceless to know it was done right. Here's a video I did when I first acquired my bird and was asking a lot of the same questions you are right now.

Posted

Is this how a topic end,s. You ask one too many dumb question,s and it,s all over ?

Not a dumb question...

You can use a hypodermic needle filled with poly tack and stick the fabric back down. You can also get an oven bag and lay it out of the rib, then get out the Iron and go over the fabric. You may want to get what they call a hot mitt used for model aircraft covering. You can iron the fabric back down, then rub over the area with the hot mit. Do not pull the Oven bag off the fabric till it cools.

You can also put some acetone on a cloth and remove all the paint down to bare fabric in the areas you need to fix, then use thinned poly tak and go over the cap strip area and push the glue back in. Using heavy Nitrile gloves, you can work over the area with your fingers and really get the fabric back down good! What is the wing painted with" If it is poly tone the acetone will take it right off. If it is areothane, you have more issues and it is a pain in the ass to fix properly. I knew that with my style of flying, I will be out in the brush and getting holes poked in the covering on a regular basis, so I went with Poly tone becuase filed repairs are so easy to do with it!

:BC:

Posted

Not a dumb question...

You can use a hypodermic needle filled with poly tack and stick the fabric back down. You can also get an oven bag and lay it out of the rib, then get out the Iron and go over the fabric. You may want to get what they call a hot mitt used for model aircraft covering. You can iron the fabric back down, then rub over the area with the hot mit. Do not pull the Oven bag off the fabric till it cools.

You can also put some acetone on a cloth and remove all the paint down to bare fabric in the areas you need to fix, then use thinned poly tak and go over the cap strip area and push the glue back in. Using heavy Nitrile gloves, you can work over the area with your fingers and really get the fabric back down good! What is the wing painted with" If it is poly tone the acetone will take it right off. If it is areothane, you have more issues and it is a pain in the ass to fix properly. I knew that with my style of flying, I will be out in the brush and getting holes poked in the covering on a regular basis, so I went with Poly tone becuase filed repairs are so easy to do with it!

Im not sure of paint type buy MEK took it right off

:BC: