Rotax Red Head?

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm poking around at rotax 582 or 670s for a potential swap on my Avid A model. Came across a 583 with a redhead on eBay for a pretty good price on ebay .I know the gray have better cooling. But what is a red? 

Jeff 

Posted

Probably a single ignition with exhaust valves?

Posted

I think it does have single ignition. Looks like it has the same upgrades as a rotax rick? 

Posted

From what I've read, the 583 doesn't put out near it's rated HP with the stock rotax muffler you would run on your 582.  If an exhaust system will let it develop the 90 HP, it will be peaky and not run near as good at other rpms.  I think Northern power has a muffler for it, but supposedly it did not have a smooth powerband.   I have no personal experience with them, but that's what I've read.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Yeah that one has the Exhaust valves with the right exhaust system it would be a power house but you would want to run it around 7000 rpm continues 

Posted

Yeah that one has the Exhaust valves with the right exhaust system it would be a power house but you would want to run it around 7000 rpm continues 

How do you think it would compare to the Rotax Rick 670?  if I'm not mistaken the power output with the Rick exhaust is  about the same? 

Posted

From what I've read, the 583 doesn't put out near it's rated HP with the stock rotax muffler you would run on your 582.  If an exhaust system will let it develop the 90 HP, it will be peaky and not run near as good at other rpms.  I think Northern power has a muffler for it, but supposedly it did not have a smooth powerband.   I have no personal experience with them, but that's what I've read.  JImChuk

Jim, do you fly behind a 670? 

Posted (edited)

I just put in a 670 from Rotax Rick, and it is great. I posted a lot on it in the engine section. Weighs about 10 lbs more than the 582, and puts out about 91HP. Same engine mount, it is a drop in.

Edited by nlappos
1 person likes this

Posted

I just put in a 670 from Rotax Rick, and it is great. I posted a lot on it in the engine section. Weighs about 10 lbs more than the 582, and puts out about 91HP. Same engine mount, it is a drop in.

Ha! I knew somebody installed one just couldn't remember who. I was wondering if that motor would be a good option but I think I'll just bite the bullet and go with the rotax Rick. 

Posted

Jim, do you fly behind a 670? 

No, never flew behind a 670.  Have had several 582s, and a couple of 532s.  Most of my Avid time has been behind the Jabiru engine in my MK IV   JImChuk