I Need Direction

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I will be purchasing a Mk4 this week after spending a month researching. I have zero time in an Avid or Kitfox though I have nearly one thousand hours of experience. I live in Alabama and have been searching for an instructor or experienced pilot to fly with. No luck so far. Any suggestions from the members here?

The plane is currently a tricycle gear though I do have a tailwheel endorsement. This should make the flying easier with a sight window I am comfortable with. I do plan to convert to tailwheel when I become comfortable with he plane. That will be the next topic for discussion.

Needless to say, I have been super excited about this purchase. If I enjoy it as much as I think then my next purchase will be a 5 or 7 to keep in Houston.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.   Thx

Posted

Hey David call me at 615-294-0214  i’m up just south of Nashville. Bryce

Posted

Depending on where your are in Alabama, there is a CFI named Herb Tipton who works with M Squared aircraft out of St. Elmo airport just south of Mobile that probably could help you.  He owned a Kitfox 4 for a while and has plenty of time in them I believe.  JImChuk

Posted

Man, with tri gear what's the concern?  If you're current, are sure of the bird's condition, and understand issues related to flying behind a 2-stroke, you're good to go.  Getting insurance with 0 hrs in type could be problematic.  On mine, with tailwheel, & me with fresh TD endorsement, I just studied up, then went solo.  Just know your bird, airspeeds, egt temps, etc.

Just my two cents.

Posted

Conservative or cautious. Not sure which. I would just like someone that regularly flys in one to be with me. I could just take a leap of faith or find instruction. Instruction sounds much safer for me. I currently fly around 150 hours per year, just zero in an Avid. 

Insurance doesn’t appear to be an issue at this time.

this plane has a 912 which should be easier to manage than a two stroke. I hope to bring it home Thursday so who knows, it may be in the air as soon as I unload it.

Thx much

Posted

Where in Alabama are you?  I'm in Gulf Shores till Friday morning.  JImChuk

Posted

Birmingham

Plane will be hangared at KCMD

Posted

Where in Alabama are you?  I'm in Gulf Shores till Friday morning.  JImChuk

You may wanna stay a few more days its freezing around here.

Posted

You may wanna stay a few more days its freezing around here.

-18 at home this morning.  65 + in GS today. 

Posted

David,

The Avid is a sweetheart, and very easy to fly in airwork. The controls are light, and it has no bad habits (until you get the tailwheel near the earth, but that's not a nose-dragger's concern!)

I suggest that you find an EAA Chapter near you, they know lots of instructors and inspectors who understand our world, and are not afraid of it.

Good Luck and welcome to the neighborhood!